Fox Denies Rumor That Arnold Schwarzenegger Will Play 'Avatar 2' Villain
Did Arnold Schwarzenegger sign on for "Avatar 2"? Not so fast. Latino Review previously reported the "Collateral Damage" star would play "a bad guy human general" in the sequel of James Cameron's 2009 hugely-successful sci-fi action movie, but 20th Century Fox quickly denies it. "No truth to this," a rep tells Variety.
If only the rumor were true, it would be a first big-screen reunion between the actor and the director in almost 20 years. Arnie previously worked with Cameron in the first "Terminator" movie (1984) and its sequel "Terminator 2: Judgment Day" (1991). Their last collaboration was in action comedy "True Lies" released in 1994.
In the next installments, Cameron is keen on exploring the story in "Avatar" universe in a big way. There will be at least three more "Avatar" movies coming with each one of them having different screenwriters. Sam Worthington and Zoe Saldana are expected to reprise their respective roles in next installment.
The second upcoming "Avatar" project is planned for a December 2016 release with Josh Friedman tapped to pen the script. "Avatar 3" is scheduled for December 2017 with Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver as the screenwriters, and "Avatar 4" is planned for 2018 with Shane Salerno as the scribe.
"Building upon the world we created with Avatar has been a rare and incredibly rewarding experience," Cameron once said. "In writing the new films, I've come to realize that Avatar's world, story and characters have become even richer than I anticipated, and it became apparent that two films would not be enough to capture everything I wanted to put on screen."
"And to help me continue to expand this universe, I'm pleased to bring aboard Amanda, Rick, Shane and Josh - all writers I've long admired - to join me in completing the films screenplays."
There is not much information on the plotline of the second "Avatar" pic, but Cameron once teased to MTV News that the film would pick up where the first film left off when Jake Sully (Worthington) begins a new life with Princess Neytiri (Saldana) after permanently transferring his consciousness to his Na'vi avatar.
More Avatar 2 News
- 'Aquaman' Officially Casts Michael Beach in Potentially Significant Role
- FOX Sets Fall Premiere Dates for 'The Orville', 'Empire' and More
- Miranda Lambert Enjoys Singing About Heartbreak After Split From Blake Shelton
- Nicki Minaj Flaunts Major Cleavage in New Instagram Pics
- Does Rae Sremmurd Break Up? Swae Lee Tries 'to Steal All the Shine' From Slim Jimmy
- Bill Cosby Plans to Lecture Young People on How to Avoid Sexual Assault Accusations
- Beyonce and Jay-Z's Twins Finally Released From Hospital
- Brad Pitt Fired as the Depressing Weatherman on 'Jim Jefferies Show'. See His Reaction!