'Star Wars' Actor Peter Mayhew Has Double Knee-Replacement Surgery
Peter Mayhew, who is best known for playing Chewbacca in George Lucas' "Star Wars" films, has had double knee-replacement surgery. His wife Angie said the actor underwent the procedure Monday, September 9 at a Texas hospital.
The 69-year-old British star, who was born with a condition known as gigantism, is recovering at Plaza Medical Centre in Fort Worth as of Wednesday. He also had a tendon-stretching procedure to stabilise his legs.
Angie added that Mayhew, who had been using a wheelchair for two years, hoped to walk again. The London-born actor's medical issues will be highlighted in an upcoming documentary, "Standing in the Stars - The Peter Mayhew Story".
Mayhew, who is 7 feet 3 inches, appeared as Chewbacca in all three films of the original "Star Wars" trilogy as well as "Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith". He received a Lifetime Achievement Award at the MTV Film Awards 1997 for his portrayal of Han Solo's companion.
- The Weeknd and Selena Gomez Plan 'Summer Wedding' in Europe
- Taylor Swift Is Taking a Break From Social Media After Struggling With Instagram Bullies
- Watch: John Legend Surprises London Commuters With Mini-Concert at Train Station
- Rob Kardashian Hints at Wanting More Kids as He's Gearing Up for Baby Dream's First Birthday
- Kris Jenner and Corey Gamble Are Still Dating, Despite Breakup Reports
- Angelina Jolie Reportedly Was Drug-Tested for 'Tomb Raider'
- Chris Pine Shaves His Head Bald. Find Out How 'Homeland' Inspired His New Look
- Tyga Threatens to Sue Blac Chyna for Defamation After Snapchat Rant