'Star Wars' Actor Peter Mayhew Has Double Knee-Replacement Surgery
Peter Mayhew, who is best known for playing Chewbacca in George Lucas' "Star Wars" films, has had double knee-replacement surgery. His wife Angie said the actor underwent the procedure Monday, September 9 at a Texas hospital.
The 69-year-old British star, who was born with a condition known as gigantism, is recovering at Plaza Medical Centre in Fort Worth as of Wednesday. He also had a tendon-stretching procedure to stabilise his legs.
Angie added that Mayhew, who had been using a wheelchair for two years, hoped to walk again. The London-born actor's medical issues will be highlighted in an upcoming documentary, "Standing in the Stars - The Peter Mayhew Story".
Mayhew, who is 7 feet 3 inches, appeared as Chewbacca in all three films of the original "Star Wars" trilogy as well as "Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith". He received a Lifetime Achievement Award at the MTV Film Awards 1997 for his portrayal of Han Solo's companion.
- Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston Already Have Their First 'Major' Fight - What Is It About?
- Is The Flash Coming to 'Big Bang Theory'?
- Miley Cyrus Reportedly Pays for Everything in Her Relationship With Liam Hemsworth
- Prince William Says He Still Misses Princess Diana Every Day and We Can't Help Tearing Up
- Will X-Men Join Avengers in 'Infinity War'? Here's What Joe Russo Says
- Kourtney Kardashian on Reconciling With Scott Disick: 'I'm So Not There Yet'
- Listen to Preview of Carly Rae Jepsen's 'E.Mo.Tion: Side B' Tracks
- Here's Your First Look at Kristin Chenoweth's Easter on 'American Gods'