'Star Wars' Actor Peter Mayhew Has Double Knee-Replacement Surgery
Peter Mayhew, who is best known for playing Chewbacca in George Lucas' "Star Wars" films, has had double knee-replacement surgery. His wife Angie said the actor underwent the procedure Monday, September 9 at a Texas hospital.
The 69-year-old British star, who was born with a condition known as gigantism, is recovering at Plaza Medical Centre in Fort Worth as of Wednesday. He also had a tendon-stretching procedure to stabilise his legs.
Angie added that Mayhew, who had been using a wheelchair for two years, hoped to walk again. The London-born actor's medical issues will be highlighted in an upcoming documentary, "Standing in the Stars - The Peter Mayhew Story".
Mayhew, who is 7 feet 3 inches, appeared as Chewbacca in all three films of the original "Star Wars" trilogy as well as "Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith". He received a Lifetime Achievement Award at the MTV Film Awards 1997 for his portrayal of Han Solo's companion.
- Sia Splits From Husband of Two Years, Erik Anders Lang
- Is Angelina Jolie Giving Brad Pitt a Second Chance?
- Kanye West Leaves L.A. in the Middle of the Night Amid Kim Kardashian Divorce Rumors
- Iron Fist Shows His Martial Art Skills in New Photos of Netflix's Series
- Is Rihanna Not Happy With Beyonce Over Grammy Nominations?
- Wendy Williams Calls Nicki Minaj 'Insensive B***h' for Mocking Mentally Ill Woman
- Lady GaGa Pens 'Inspiring' Open Letter About Her Daily Effort to Battle With PTSD
- 'Bones': What Will Happen to the Jeffersonian? David Boreanaz Shares Photo of Destroyed Lab