'Star Wars' Actor Peter Mayhew Has Double Knee-Replacement Surgery
Peter Mayhew, who is best known for playing Chewbacca in George Lucas' "Star Wars" films, has had double knee-replacement surgery. His wife Angie said the actor underwent the procedure Monday, September 9 at a Texas hospital.
The 69-year-old British star, who was born with a condition known as gigantism, is recovering at Plaza Medical Centre in Fort Worth as of Wednesday. He also had a tendon-stretching procedure to stabilise his legs.
Angie added that Mayhew, who had been using a wheelchair for two years, hoped to walk again. The London-born actor's medical issues will be highlighted in an upcoming documentary, "Standing in the Stars - The Peter Mayhew Story".
Mayhew, who is 7 feet 3 inches, appeared as Chewbacca in all three films of the original "Star Wars" trilogy as well as "Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith". He received a Lifetime Achievement Award at the MTV Film Awards 1997 for his portrayal of Han Solo's companion.
- Kim Kardashian Endorses Hillary Clinton, Shuts Down Rumor That She Votes for Donald Trump
- Angelina Jolie and Her Kids Move Into Rental House Amid Brad Pitt Divorce
- Find Out the Gender of Olivia Wilde's Second Child With Jason Sudeikis!
- Orlando Bloom and Malin Akerman Have Steamy Threesome on Netflix's 'Easy'
- Megan Hilty and Brian Gallagher Expecting Their Second Child
- Marion Cotillard's Partner Breaks Silence on Brad Pitt Affair Rumors
- Julia Roberts to Play PTA Mom Framed for Drug Possession in True-Story Movie
- Pippa Middleton's Private Photos Stolen After Her iCloud Got Hacked