Kendrick Lamar Finally Clarifies Controversial 'Control' Verse
A couple of weeks after his verse on Big Sean's "Control" track shook the hip-hop world and after practically every rap star from the Big Apple has given his reaction on his "king of New York" claim, Kendrick Lamar finally breaks his silence on the controversy. The MTV Hottest MC said via L.A. radio station Power 106 that his lyrics were actually misunderstood.
"I think it's a case of maybe I should dumb down my lyrics just a little bit," Lamar told program host Big Boy. "The irony of that line is that the people who actually understood it and got it were the actual kings of New York, you know, me sitting down with them this past week, and them understanding, it's not actually about being the king of whatever coast, it's about leaving a mark as great as Biggie, as great as Pac."
The Compton rapper, who did not expect his verse would get the attention it has generated, said that those who knew him well would know that he did not drop it to create any issues. "Honestly I didn't know there would be so much speculation behind it. I just wanted to rap. Anybody that knows me doing music, I wanna just rap," he claimed.
After Lamar got dissed by rap mogul P. Diddy on Instagram with a photo of the rap mogul with Jay-Z laughing and captioned with "and then Kendrick said 'I'm the King of New York,' " there are reports that K.Dot has already cleared the air with the two NYC heavyweights. Lamar reportedly attended their VMAs after-party at the Dream Hotel.
More Kendrick Lamar News
- Anne Hathaway Eyed to Replace Amy Schumer in Live-Action 'Barbie'
- 'Exhausted' Justin Bieber Cancels the Rest of 'Purpose' Tour Dates
- ABC Sets Fall 2017 Premiere Dates for 'Grey's Anatomy', 'The Good Doctor' and More
- Ex-Wonder Girls Member Sun Mi to Release Second Solo Album in August
- Find Out Why Song Joong Ki Wants to Get Married Early
- Ariel Winter Flaunts Butt Tattoo on Snapchat
- Did Katy Perry Secretly Undergo Plastic Surgery?
- Beyonce and Jay-Z Spark Rise in Bel-Air Property Prices