Kendrick Lamar Finally Clarifies Controversial 'Control' Verse
A couple of weeks after his verse on Big Sean's "Control" track shook the hip-hop world and after practically every rap star from the Big Apple has given his reaction on his "king of New York" claim, Kendrick Lamar finally breaks his silence on the controversy. The MTV Hottest MC said via L.A. radio station Power 106 that his lyrics were actually misunderstood.
"I think it's a case of maybe I should dumb down my lyrics just a little bit," Lamar told program host Big Boy. "The irony of that line is that the people who actually understood it and got it were the actual kings of New York, you know, me sitting down with them this past week, and them understanding, it's not actually about being the king of whatever coast, it's about leaving a mark as great as Biggie, as great as Pac."
The Compton rapper, who did not expect his verse would get the attention it has generated, said that those who knew him well would know that he did not drop it to create any issues. "Honestly I didn't know there would be so much speculation behind it. I just wanted to rap. Anybody that knows me doing music, I wanna just rap," he claimed.
After Lamar got dissed by rap mogul P. Diddy on Instagram with a photo of the rap mogul with Jay-Z laughing and captioned with "and then Kendrick said 'I'm the King of New York,' " there are reports that K.Dot has already cleared the air with the two NYC heavyweights. Lamar reportedly attended their VMAs after-party at the Dream Hotel.
More Kendrick Lamar News
- Angelina Jolie Backtracks Her Comment After She's Warned to Stop Trashing Brad Pitt
- Never-Before-Seen Footage of Kim Kardashian's Sex Tape Surfaces
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy and Peta Murgatroyd Confirm Return for 'DWTS' Season 24
- Katy Perry Goes to 'Oblivia' Theme Park in 'Chained to the Rhythm' Music Video
- 'Hellboy 3' Is Dead, Director Guillermo Del Toro Says
- 'InHumans' Announces 'Game of Thrones' Alum as Maximus
- Hoda Kotb Introduces Newly-Adopted Daughter, Explains Baby's Name
- Karrueche Tran Accuses Chris Brown of Domestic Violence, Files for Restraining Order