Artist of the Week: Lorde
Lorde is a New Zealand-native singer everyone is talking about. The "Royals" hitmaker, whose real name is Ella Yelich-O'Connor, was signed to Universal Records at the young age of 13. Now, she's working on "Pure Heroine", her debut LP which is planned to be released later this year.
The talented artist is only 16. She's currently attending a high school in her hometown of Auckland. She recently talked about recording her new record while having to study in school. "I'm in year 11, my second-to-last year of school. I love learning, but at the same time I love being in the studio and learning new things there," she told Interview Magazine.
Lorde has decided to take a break from school to finish her new record. She is lucky, since her parents support her choice. She said, "My parents are pretty good; they understand what I really want. If I do decide to leave school at the end of this year, that's a bridge we'll cross. But I do, one day, still really want to go to University, to study media and film probably."
Lorde shot to fame after her "The Love Club EP" was released late last year. It got better for her when her single "Royals" topped many charts. She is the first solo female artist to top U.S. alternative songs chart since 1996. Of how she dealt with her new title as a celebrity, she said, "People are starting to recognize me now, which is kind of weird."
However, she thought that growing up in New Zealand helped her stay grounded. "I go to a public school, and you know, it's been a really hot summer here... and when I walk into class and my entire back is covered in sweat, I'm like, 'I'm definitely not that cool,' " she continued.
Lorde's "Pure Heroine" will be released in the U.S. by Lava/Republic Records on September 30. In another interview with Vogue, she promised the new tracks would be "a step forward from the stuff that's out."
- The Great War Is Coming in First Trailer for 'Game of Thrones' Season 7
- First Look at Benicio Del Toro and Laura Dern, Captain Phasma Unmasked in 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi'
- Beware Angelina Jolie! Brad Pitt Is Ready to Publish a Tell-All
- Kelly Clarkson and Jennifer Hudson Are Fighting Over 'The Voice' Gig
- Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon Are Planning to Remarry This Summer
- Fans Are Begging Justin Bieber to Cancel His Upcoming U.K. Concerts
- Beyonce's Security Team Conducting Trial Runs for Her Delivery
- AOA's Choa Wipes Her Instagram Account Clean Following Dating Rumors