MTV VMAs 2013: Selena Gomez, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis Are Early Winners
Selena Gomez was announced as the first artist to take home a Moonman at the 2013 MTV Video Music Awards, which just kicked off on Sunday, August 25. The 21-year-old beauty was presented with the trophy by One Direction after her "Come and Get It" visuals was chosen as the Best Pop Video, beating Justin Timberlake's "Mirrors" and Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines" among others.
After a cool performance from Mr. Thicke and Miley Cyrus, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis were the next to claim their victorious moment. Their "Can't Hold Us" clip was deemed Best Hip Hop Video, defeating videos from Drake, Kendrick Lamar, A$AP Rocky and J. Cole.
It did not take long for the rap duo to secure their second Moonman. Ed Sheeran revealed their "Same Love" clip, which champions gay rights, was the Best Video With A Social Message. "Gay rights are human rights and there is no separation," Macklemore shouted.
Daft Punk then took the stage with Nile Rodgers and Pharrell Williams to announce who would walk away with the Best Female Video trophy. As it turns out, Taylor Swift blocked Rihanna, the twerk queen Cyrus, Pink and Demi Lovato from taking the coveted prize.
The 30th annual MTV VMAs is currently taking place at Barclay's Center in Brooklyn, New York. Lady GaGa opened the show with her latest hit single, "Applause".
- Blake Shelton and Debra Messing Have Twitter Spat Over Donald Trump
- Watch Orlando Bloom Go Fanboy Over Girlfriend Katy Perry at the DNC
- Adele Brings Her Drag Impersonator Onstage During Seattle Show
- Mary J. Blige Confirms She's Divorcing Husband Kendu Isaacs After 12 Years of Marriage
- 'New Girl' Really Loves Megan Fox, Brings Her Back for Major Season 6 Arc
- 'Suicide Squad' Confirms Another DC Superhero's Appearance
- Kim Kardashian Is Unrecognizable in These TBT Photos From the 2008 Teen Choice Awards
- Watch Katy Perry Rock the DNC With 'Rise' and 'Roar'