Stephen Moyer to Star in NBC's 'The Sound of Music'
Stephen Moyer will sink his teeth into a live TV while taking a break from filming "True Blood". The English actor is cast in NBC's live holiday production of "The Sound of Music", which is based on the original 1959 Broadway production of the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical.
The Bill Compton of the HBO vampire series takes on the role of Capt. Georg Von Trapp, a World War I hero and a single father living in Austria pre-World War II. He hires a governess, Maria who will be portrayed by Carrie Underwood, to care for his seven children.
The three-hour holiday production is scheduled to run December 5. Mary Martin and Theodore Bikel starred in the original musical play, which won a Tony for Best Musical and helped Martin nab a Tony for Best Actress in a Musical.
Moyer is no stranger to stage play, having performed in about 60 musicals by age 18, he recently said. The husband of actress Anna Paquin worked in theater for five years after graduating from the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art, playing Romeo in productions of "Romeo and Juliet" before making the transition to television and film.
- Find Out How Jaden Smith Tricked His Dad Will Smith Into Letting Him Drink on His Birthday
- Jean-Claude Van Damme Walks Out of TV Interview After Reporter Asks This Question
- Matt Damon Will Take a Break From Acting Next Year
- Kanye West Launches Twitter Rants About Apple and Tidal Beef
- Tyler Posey Clarifies 'I Am Gay' Snapchat Video, Apologizes for Fake Coming Out
- Nick Jonas Offered $2 Million to Perform at RNC
- Director Paul Feig Slams Sony for Deleting 'Ghostbusters' Pro-Hillary Tweet
- 'Game of Thrones' Set to End With Season 8, Spin-Off Plan Confirmed