Stephen Moyer to Star in NBC's 'The Sound of Music'
Stephen Moyer will sink his teeth into a live TV while taking a break from filming "True Blood". The English actor is cast in NBC's live holiday production of "The Sound of Music", which is based on the original 1959 Broadway production of the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical.
The Bill Compton of the HBO vampire series takes on the role of Capt. Georg Von Trapp, a World War I hero and a single father living in Austria pre-World War II. He hires a governess, Maria who will be portrayed by Carrie Underwood, to care for his seven children.
The three-hour holiday production is scheduled to run December 5. Mary Martin and Theodore Bikel starred in the original musical play, which won a Tony for Best Musical and helped Martin nab a Tony for Best Actress in a Musical.
Moyer is no stranger to stage play, having performed in about 60 musicals by age 18, he recently said. The husband of actress Anna Paquin worked in theater for five years after graduating from the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art, playing Romeo in productions of "Romeo and Juliet" before making the transition to television and film.
- Sia Splits From Husband of Two Years, Erik Anders Lang
- Is Angelina Jolie Giving Brad Pitt a Second Chance?
- Kanye West Leaves L.A. in the Middle of the Night Amid Kim Kardashian Divorce Rumors
- Iron Fist Shows His Martial Art Skills in New Photos of Netflix's Series
- Is Rihanna Not Happy With Beyonce Over Grammy Nominations?
- Wendy Williams Calls Nicki Minaj 'Insensive B***h' for Mocking Mentally Ill Woman
- Lady GaGa Pens 'Inspiring' Open Letter About Her Daily Effort to Battle With PTSD
- 'Bones': What Will Happen to the Jeffersonian? David Boreanaz Shares Photo of Destroyed Lab