Stephen Moyer to Star in NBC's 'The Sound of Music'
Stephen Moyer will sink his teeth into a live TV while taking a break from filming "True Blood". The English actor is cast in NBC's live holiday production of "The Sound of Music", which is based on the original 1959 Broadway production of the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical.
The Bill Compton of the HBO vampire series takes on the role of Capt. Georg Von Trapp, a World War I hero and a single father living in Austria pre-World War II. He hires a governess, Maria who will be portrayed by Carrie Underwood, to care for his seven children.
The three-hour holiday production is scheduled to run December 5. Mary Martin and Theodore Bikel starred in the original musical play, which won a Tony for Best Musical and helped Martin nab a Tony for Best Actress in a Musical.
Moyer is no stranger to stage play, having performed in about 60 musicals by age 18, he recently said. The husband of actress Anna Paquin worked in theater for five years after graduating from the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art, playing Romeo in productions of "Romeo and Juliet" before making the transition to television and film.
- Comic-Con: 'The Walking Dead' First Season 8 Trailer Teases Major Time Jump
- Jeremy Meeks and Chloe Green Make Out During L.A. Coffee Run: We Are in Love
- Beyonce's Madame Tussauds Wax Figure 'Adjusted' After Whitewashing Controversy
- Is Ben Affleck Done Playing Batman? WB Reportedly Plans His Exit
- Is Meek Mill Finally Ready to End Longtime Feud With Drake?
- This Transgender Performer Suggests She Had an Affair With Kanye West
- Block B's U-Kwon Tells a Fan She Looks Like Crap
- Louis Tomlinson Says His Mom's Dying Wish Was for Him to Reconcile With Zayn Malik