Taylor Swift Fan Charged With Trespassing After Trying to Pass His Phone Number
A 55-year-old Taylor Swift fan is scheduled to appear in court on Friday, August 23, following an arrest near her house in late July. Joseph Bernatche was charged with trespassing after he tried to give Taylor his phone number by asking a guard at her Rhode Island home to pass a note he brought.
Bernatche's attorney Michael J. Robinson of Robo Law denied the accussation, saying that his client was not in Swift's property. "We deny that Mr. Bernatche was ever on Ms. Swift's property. The security guards have a job to do and I don't blame them. They do what they think they have to do. In this case, I think they were just being overly zealous, overly cautious," the attorney said, as quoted by Radar Online.
According to Robinson, "Mr. Bernatche showed up and parked at the house next to Taylor Swift's. He was carrying a note. He signals to the security guard to come down and hands him the note." His client told the guard at that time, "I'm not here to trespass, I'm just here to deliver this note. If you would kindly give this to Taylor Swift, that's my sole purpose for being here."
"The security guard reads the note, gets the license plate, and my client walks away. He was driving away from Ms. Swift's property when he was stopped and arrested by the Westerly Police," the lawyer added. He was confident that his client, a veteran who has no record, would not face jail time. "I'd be totally shocked. That would be extremely unusual," he added.
More Taylor Swift News
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss on the Ending: No One Can Get Happy Ending Without Some Struggle
- Salazar's Grudge Against Jack Sparrow Is Explained in 'Pirates of the Caribbean 5' New TV Spot
- Jennifer Lopez and Alex Rodriguez May Need to Postpone Their Wedding Plan. Find Out Why
- 'American Horror Story: Roanoke' Cast Dishes on Lady GaGa's Possible Return and More
- Artist of the Week: Jackie Evancho
- Traumatized Kim Kardashian Seeks Therapy After Paris Robbery
- Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner Exchange Sweet Gaze While Leaving Church Amid Reconciliation Rumors
- 'Venom Carnage' Is Listed as Horror Sci-Fi, Production Date Is Revealed