'Law and Order: SVU' Takes on Trayvon Martin Shooting and Paula Deen Scandal in One Episode
After new photos from the set of "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" sparked rumors that the show had a Trayvon Martin-inspired episode, executive producer Warren Leight confirms the speculation. In fact, the long-running crime drama series combines the much-talked about shooting case and another headline-grabbing issue, the Paula Deen scandal, in one episode.
"[Jeffrey] Tambor is a defense attorney representing a very high-profile celebrity woman chef who thought she was being pursued by a rapist and turned around it was a teenager. And she shot him," Leight tells Entertainment Weekly of the plotline. "There's a lot of stop and frisk elements to that as well."
Leight says the episode will raise such questions as "Is racial profiling justifiable? Can self-defense involve racial profiling?" He adds, "We're diving right into that. Can that happen in New York? Absolutely."
Cybill Shephard guest stars as the celebrity chef, while Leslie Odom Jr. is cast as a minister of the slain child. The said episode, which was filming scenes outside the Supreme Court in Manhattan on Tuesday, August 20, will be the third outing of the show's 15th season set to premiere Wednesday, September 25 at 9 P.M. on NBC.
"Law & Order: SVU" filming outside the Supreme Court:
- Soulja Boy Charged on Suspicion of Illegally Possessing Firearms
- 'The Bachelor' Recap: Tension Between Corinne and Other Girls Is About to Get Physical
- 'Star Wars: Episode VIII' Gets Official Title, Mark Hamill Reacts
- Michelle Williams Reveals She Was 'Inconsolable' After Leaving Shared Home With Heath Ledger
- Mel Gibson Welcomes Baby No. 9 - Is It a Boy or a Girl?
- Lady GaGa Set to Release New Album in 2017
- 'My Super Sweet 16' Is Getting a Revival on MTV
- Iggy Azalea's New Beau LJay Currie Gets Two Handfuls of Her Boobs and Ass