'Law and Order: SVU' Takes on Trayvon Martin Shooting and Paula Deen Scandal in One Episode
After new photos from the set of "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" sparked rumors that the show had a Trayvon Martin-inspired episode, executive producer Warren Leight confirms the speculation. In fact, the long-running crime drama series combines the much-talked about shooting case and another headline-grabbing issue, the Paula Deen scandal, in one episode.
"[Jeffrey] Tambor is a defense attorney representing a very high-profile celebrity woman chef who thought she was being pursued by a rapist and turned around it was a teenager. And she shot him," Leight tells Entertainment Weekly of the plotline. "There's a lot of stop and frisk elements to that as well."
Leight says the episode will raise such questions as "Is racial profiling justifiable? Can self-defense involve racial profiling?" He adds, "We're diving right into that. Can that happen in New York? Absolutely."
Cybill Shephard guest stars as the celebrity chef, while Leslie Odom Jr. is cast as a minister of the slain child. The said episode, which was filming scenes outside the Supreme Court in Manhattan on Tuesday, August 20, will be the third outing of the show's 15th season set to premiere Wednesday, September 25 at 9 P.M. on NBC.
"Law & Order: SVU" filming outside the Supreme Court:
- Priscilla Presley's Taking Care of Lisa Marie Presley's Twin Girls Amid Nasty Custody Battle
- Pregnant Rosie Huntington-Whiteley Covers Baby Bump in Trench Coat on Lunch Date With Jason Statham
- Fergie Shows Off Pert Derriere in Cheeky Instagram Picture
- George Clooney Finally Opens Up About Amal's Pregnancy
- Adele Named Top Music Legend of the Future
- Taron Egerton Is Seen Filming 'Robin Hood: Origins' in Croatia
- Possible 'Jurassic World 2' Plot Details Revealed
- 'Sherlock' Could Get Axed, Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman's Busy Schedules Are to Blame