The Calling's Frontman Alex Band on His Abduction: My Unborn Child Was My Saviour
Just hours after announcing their comeback after having not been onstage together in eight years, The Calling made another headline. Alex Band, the lead singer of the group, known for their 2001 hit "Wherever You Will Go", was abducted, beaten and robbed in Michigan on Sunday, August 18. His publicist confirms the news first reported by TMZ.
According to the release, the 32-year-old rocker was yanked into a "blue colored minivan" during a trip to the mini-mart after the band's show at Lapeer Days Festival that night. Two men, who Band recalled were not wearing masks, beat him with a police baton. They apparently wanted what they called Band's "Hollywood money."
"After Band fought back, he was cornered in the van with the gun to his face, and Band told the assailants, 'Don't kill me as I am about to be a dad,' " the statement says. "After more beating, the assailants responded with 'We don't kill fathers' and then left him for dead at a local railroad track in Lapeer."
In the attack, Band "suffered a fractured lower spine, a gash on his chin requiring 15 stitches, three broken teeth, and bruising to his side and stomach." He counters speculation that the assault was a hoax or in any way had something to do with his drug use.
"I take my rehabilitation very seriously," Band says in a statement. "This just happened to me. I didn't kidnap myself, or beat the crap out of myself. So the whole hoax thing is honestly kind of disgusting to even think about, or hear," he tells CNN.
"I never thought my unborn child would be my savior. I am grateful to be alive and I know that I am destined for bringing my music back to my fans."
- James Blunt Sings Touching New Song at Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds' Memorial
- 'Orange Is the New Black' Star Samira Wiley Marries the Show's Writer Lauren Morelli
- 'Once Upon a Time' 6.15 Preview: Aladdin and Jasmine Meet Ariel in 'A Wondrous Place'
- Wishes Turn Into Nightmares in 'Wish Upon' New Trailer
- Sade Convinces Drake Not to Diss Kendrick Lamar Over a Track
- Selena Gomez Cheers on The Weeknd at Brazilian Concert
- 'Power Rangers' Future Installment May Feature Female Green Ranger
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss on the Ending: No One Can Get Happy Ending Without Some Struggle