The Calling's Frontman Alex Band on His Abduction: My Unborn Child Was My Saviour
Just hours after announcing their comeback after having not been onstage together in eight years, The Calling made another headline. Alex Band, the lead singer of the group, known for their 2001 hit "Wherever You Will Go", was abducted, beaten and robbed in Michigan on Sunday, August 18. His publicist confirms the news first reported by TMZ.
According to the release, the 32-year-old rocker was yanked into a "blue colored minivan" during a trip to the mini-mart after the band's show at Lapeer Days Festival that night. Two men, who Band recalled were not wearing masks, beat him with a police baton. They apparently wanted what they called Band's "Hollywood money."
"After Band fought back, he was cornered in the van with the gun to his face, and Band told the assailants, 'Don't kill me as I am about to be a dad,' " the statement says. "After more beating, the assailants responded with 'We don't kill fathers' and then left him for dead at a local railroad track in Lapeer."
In the attack, Band "suffered a fractured lower spine, a gash on his chin requiring 15 stitches, three broken teeth, and bruising to his side and stomach." He counters speculation that the assault was a hoax or in any way had something to do with his drug use.
"I take my rehabilitation very seriously," Band says in a statement. "This just happened to me. I didn't kidnap myself, or beat the crap out of myself. So the whole hoax thing is honestly kind of disgusting to even think about, or hear," he tells CNN.
"I never thought my unborn child would be my savior. I am grateful to be alive and I know that I am destined for bringing my music back to my fans."
- Kris Jenner Is Banning Pepsi From Her House
- 'Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales' May Be Johnny Depp's Last Disney Film
- Meghan Markle Involved in Nazi and Satanism Scandal
- Caitlyn Jenner Is Saving Her Vagina for Mr. Right
- PARTYNEXTDOOR Unfollows Zayn Malik, Deletes All Trace of Their Collab on Social Media
- Paris Jackson Wants to Save 'Reclusive' Aunt Janet Jackson Amid Split From Wissam Al Mana
- Is Gigi Hadid Taking Her Diet Too Far? Her Extreme Weight Loss Raises Concern
- Phoebe Tonkin and Paul Wesley Enjoy Intimate Dinner - Back On?