Russell Simmons Plans New Harriet Tubman Project
Following the backlash over his controversial Harriett Tubman sex tape parody video, business magnate Russell Simmons had apologized earlier this week and already pulled down the clip from his All Def Digital channel on YouTube. In what may appear to be as additional damage control, the mogul announced on Twitter on Saturday, August 17 that he planned to come up with a new project on the African-American abolitionist, a less comedic and more inclusive treatment of Tubman.
"I recently moved to hollywood I have began producing lots of content one of the things is a miniseries on Fredrick Douglas. The last few dayz I have been speaking to some of the direct descendants of Harriet Tubman. (Rita and Geraldine Daniels)," revealed the hip-hop mega-millionaire.
"They have not only accepted my apology but we agree that we should begin immediately to develop the story of Harriet Tubman," Simmons said, believing it was a testament that "God works in mysterious ways." Finally, he wrote, "Thank you Rita and Geraldine Daniels You and your great great grandmother are amazing inspiration. #newfriends."
Simmons' parody sex tape of the humanitarian and Union spy during the American civil war was met with an outrage, with critics saying it defamed not just Tubman but all African-American women. Simmons said he did not realize that the video would be perceived as such and that it "broke my heart" that black women were so disgusted by it.
- Joanna Krupa Causes Internet Frenzy After Seemingly Posing Fully-Naked
- David Ayer Regrets That Joker Is Not 'Suicide Squad' Main Villain
- Robin Excitedly Tries on Different Costumes in First 'Lego Batman Movie' Clip
- Kendall Jenner Flashes Her Breasts in Sheer Top While Strolling Around Paris
- Kanye West Reportedly Ready to Continue His Canceled 'Saint Pablo' Tour
- Chelsea Clinton Branded Hypocrite After Defending Barron Trump From Cyberbullies
- New 'Powerless' Promo Features Crimson Fox Catching a Train
- Woody Harrelson Is Han Solo's Mentor in Upcoming 'Star Wars' Spin-Off