Robin Thicke to Headline Pre-VMA Benefit Concert for Lifebeat
Riding high on the success of both his "Blurred Lines" single and album, Robin Thicke, one of the top nominees at this year's MTV Video Music Awards, will headline a pre-VMA free concert that will benefit HIV/AIDS non-profit group Lifebeat. The 36-year-old R'n'B singer will perform on August 23 at New York City's Terminal 5 events venue. It's one of the VMA-themed shows that will be held leading up to the grand award ceremony that will take place on August 25 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn.
This year's VMAs will have performances from Lady GaGa, who will give a first live rendition of her "ARTPOP" lead single "Applause", and Kanye West, who will be dishing out his "Yeezy" track "Black Skinhead". Appearances from the leading nominees are also expected, which include Justin Timberlake and Macklemore & Ryan Lewis with 6 nominations each, Bruno Mars with 4, and Miley Cyrus, Pink, 30 Seconds to Mars and Thicke with 3 nods apiece.
Giving Thicke a boost of confidence for his pre-VMA show is the rare feat of having both the No. 1 single on the Hot 100 chart and the top album in the Billboard 200 with his phenomenal "Blurred Lines". With this latest achievement, he becomes the first artist since December 2012 to lord over both charts and only the 17th act in the last 10 years to have done so.
Thanks to the long-staying power of "Blurred Lines" on the Hot 100, it still managed to reign in the singles chart by the time the similarly-titled album's chart-topping debut took place. Thicke's "Blurred Lines" song has held firmly on the top of the Hot 100 for nine weeks now, enabling the album to catch up when it made its No.1 debut last week in the Billboard 200 chart.
- Police Found No Evidence of Physical Abuse in Amber Heard's Case
- Phil Lord and Chris Miller's 'Spider-Man' Movie May Feature Miles Morales
- Colton Haynes Bares His Butt in This Racy Instagram Photo
- Heidi Klum Declares She 'Won't Get Married Again'
- Rainn Wilson Says Johnny Depp 'Is a Wife Beater'
- Does Tyga Really Owe Kylie Jenner $2 Million?
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Star Teases Jenna's Return: 'I'm in Most of the Season'
- Victoria's Secret Angels Give Justin Timberlake's 'Can't Stop the Feeling' Hotter Music Video