Robin Thicke to Headline Pre-VMA Benefit Concert for Lifebeat
Riding high on the success of both his "Blurred Lines" single and album, Robin Thicke, one of the top nominees at this year's MTV Video Music Awards, will headline a pre-VMA free concert that will benefit HIV/AIDS non-profit group Lifebeat. The 36-year-old R'n'B singer will perform on August 23 at New York City's Terminal 5 events venue. It's one of the VMA-themed shows that will be held leading up to the grand award ceremony that will take place on August 25 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn.
This year's VMAs will have performances from Lady GaGa, who will give a first live rendition of her "ARTPOP" lead single "Applause", and Kanye West, who will be dishing out his "Yeezy" track "Black Skinhead". Appearances from the leading nominees are also expected, which include Justin Timberlake and Macklemore & Ryan Lewis with 6 nominations each, Bruno Mars with 4, and Miley Cyrus, Pink, 30 Seconds to Mars and Thicke with 3 nods apiece.
Giving Thicke a boost of confidence for his pre-VMA show is the rare feat of having both the No. 1 single on the Hot 100 chart and the top album in the Billboard 200 with his phenomenal "Blurred Lines". With this latest achievement, he becomes the first artist since December 2012 to lord over both charts and only the 17th act in the last 10 years to have done so.
Thanks to the long-staying power of "Blurred Lines" on the Hot 100, it still managed to reign in the singles chart by the time the similarly-titled album's chart-topping debut took place. Thicke's "Blurred Lines" song has held firmly on the top of the Hot 100 for nine weeks now, enabling the album to catch up when it made its No.1 debut last week in the Billboard 200 chart.
- Watch 'Carpool Karaoke' With Madonna and Find Out Juicy Detail of Her Night Out With Michael Jackson
- Major Lazer Mashes Up Biggest Hits of the Year for YouTube Rewind 2016 Video
- John Cena Promises to Destroy 'Saturday Night Live' in New Promo
- Katy Perry Joins Jennifer Aniston at 'Office Christmas Party' L.A. Premiere
- Kardashian Sisters Try to Block Blac Chyna From Trademarking Their Family Name. How She Reacts?
- Nick Cannon Hits Back at Dane Cook Who Shamed Him for Wearing Turban
- Johnny Depp Dubbed Hollywood's Most Overpaid Actor Again by Forbes
- 'The Bachelor' Season 21 Cast Photos: Meet 30 Girls Vying for Nick Viall's Heart