Katy Perry's 'Roar' Arrives Early, Stirs Plagiarism Issue
After four teaser clips, Katy Perry's much anticipated new single "Roar" has arrived, earlier than its scheduled August 12 debut. Due to online leaks, the song was released earlier to radio stations and will be made available on iTunes starting at midnight tonight, as Perry announced this morning by tweeting, "Looks like there's a tiger on the loose."
As what was first hinted in the last teaser "Satin Cape", the "Prism" lead single is a statement song, an empowering anthem where Perry proclaims, "I am a champion, you're gonna hear me roar." And as she had been hinting for more than a week before the track came out, it does differ from her previous sound although the song's message would throw her fans back to the uplifting vibe of "Firework".
As soon as the track makes its round for listening pleasure, so does the criticism from listeners start to make its way out online, saying that Perry's "Roar" sounds very closely similar to Sara Bareilles' "Brave". From the theme to the beat, the vocal and instrumental arrangements, down to the verses and hook, critics say the two songs are almost identical.
Since Perry liked Bareilles' "Brave", it may have influenced her when she was co-writing "Roar" with Dr. Luke, Bonnie McKee and Max Martin. Whether it was intentional or just a pure coincidence, Bareilles herself doesn't seem bothered by the supposed plagiarism, tweeting her followers over the weekend, "All love, everybody. All love."
Katy Perry's "Roar" (full audio):
More Katy Perry News
- Desperate to Lose Weight, Mariah Carey Opts for Breast Reduction Surgery
- Marc Anthony Makes First Red Carpet Appearance With Girlfriend Mariana Downing
- Rihanna Is Not Taking Remy Ma's Side in Rapper's Feud With Nicki Minaj
- Ashley Olsen and Richard Sachs Have Called It Quits After Five Months of Dating
- Future and The Weeknd Tease 'Comin Out Strong' Music Video Filmed in Subway Car
- 'Legion' Season Finale Preview: You're Gods
- It's Over! Kim Kardashian 'Pulling the Plug' on Her Marriage to Kanye West
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Are Talking Again After Bitter Split: 'He's Much Happier'