Katy Perry's 'Roar' Arrives Early, Stirs Plagiarism Issue
After four teaser clips, Katy Perry's much anticipated new single "Roar" has arrived, earlier than its scheduled August 12 debut. Due to online leaks, the song was released earlier to radio stations and will be made available on iTunes starting at midnight tonight, as Perry announced this morning by tweeting, "Looks like there's a tiger on the loose."
As what was first hinted in the last teaser "Satin Cape", the "Prism" lead single is a statement song, an empowering anthem where Perry proclaims, "I am a champion, you're gonna hear me roar." And as she had been hinting for more than a week before the track came out, it does differ from her previous sound although the song's message would throw her fans back to the uplifting vibe of "Firework".
As soon as the track makes its round for listening pleasure, so does the criticism from listeners start to make its way out online, saying that Perry's "Roar" sounds very closely similar to Sara Bareilles' "Brave". From the theme to the beat, the vocal and instrumental arrangements, down to the verses and hook, critics say the two songs are almost identical.
Since Perry liked Bareilles' "Brave", it may have influenced her when she was co-writing "Roar" with Dr. Luke, Bonnie McKee and Max Martin. Whether it was intentional or just a pure coincidence, Bareilles herself doesn't seem bothered by the supposed plagiarism, tweeting her followers over the weekend, "All love, everybody. All love."
Katy Perry's "Roar" (full audio):
More Katy Perry News
- Rihanna, Kendrick Lamar, Selena Gomez, Metallica to Perform at 2016 Global Citizen Concert
- Rihanna Warns Fans Not to Play Pokemon Go at Her Concert as Beyonce and Adele Face Same Issue
- Disney Plans 'Han Solo' Trilogy With Alden Ehrenreich
- Chrissy Teigen and Kim Kardashian Fought With Their Husbands at Each Other's Wedding
- Karl Urban Debuts His 'Thor: Ragnarok' Look. See His Newly Shaved Head
- Matt Damon and Jimmy Kimmel Go to Couples Therapy Again. Does It Work This Time?
- Jeremy Renner's Ex Claims He Refuses to Pay Child Support
- Secretly Married? See Miley Cyrus' New Band on Her Ring Finger