'Sharknado' Sequel Gets an Obvious Title
Syfy has announced a title for "Sharknado" sequel after asking fans to pitch subtitle for it through a Twitter contest. The cable channel picks a rather obvious name for the upcoming TV movie, choosing to go with "Sharknado 2: The Second One".
"Since Twitter played such a huge role in the success of the original movie, we wanted to use that platform to ask our fans to name 'Sharknado 2'," says Thomas Vitale, executive vp of programming at Syfy. "This response is another reminder of how 'Sharknado' has become a pop culture phenomenon. We want to thank all our viewers for their wonderful contributions to keeping up the shark-mentum."
"Sharknado 2" is scheduled for a July 2014 premiere. Cast line-up and plotline are not announced yet, but Anthony C. Ferrante who directed the first film once said before Syfy greenlit the sequel, "If there is, we have to up the ante... If we're going to do this, we better make damn sure we can exceed the original. Maybe, we should do 'Die Hard' with sharks."
The Asylum will still produce the follow-up to the social media hit.
Producer David Latt recently denied rumor that Tara Reid was cut from the second film, saying, "Tara is invited back. Syfy and The Asylum love Ian [Ziering], Tara, Cassie [Scerbo] [and] EVERYONE. Hopefully she'll [Reid] be the one turning us down because this bizarre film gives her -- and the rest of the cast -- some great opportunities, and therefore [she will be] unavailable."
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival