'Sharknado' Sequel Gets an Obvious Title
Syfy has announced a title for "Sharknado" sequel after asking fans to pitch subtitle for it through a Twitter contest. The cable channel picks a rather obvious name for the upcoming TV movie, choosing to go with "Sharknado 2: The Second One".
"Since Twitter played such a huge role in the success of the original movie, we wanted to use that platform to ask our fans to name 'Sharknado 2'," says Thomas Vitale, executive vp of programming at Syfy. "This response is another reminder of how 'Sharknado' has become a pop culture phenomenon. We want to thank all our viewers for their wonderful contributions to keeping up the shark-mentum."
"Sharknado 2" is scheduled for a July 2014 premiere. Cast line-up and plotline are not announced yet, but Anthony C. Ferrante who directed the first film once said before Syfy greenlit the sequel, "If there is, we have to up the ante... If we're going to do this, we better make damn sure we can exceed the original. Maybe, we should do 'Die Hard' with sharks."
The Asylum will still produce the follow-up to the social media hit.
Producer David Latt recently denied rumor that Tara Reid was cut from the second film, saying, "Tara is invited back. Syfy and The Asylum love Ian [Ziering], Tara, Cassie [Scerbo] [and] EVERYONE. Hopefully she'll [Reid] be the one turning us down because this bizarre film gives her -- and the rest of the cast -- some great opportunities, and therefore [she will be] unavailable."
- Drake Depicts Violence, Gets Steamy With a Girl in New 'Please Forgive Me' Short Film
- Kendall and Kylie Jenner Get Matching Ferraris. But Why Is One Sister Left Embarrassed?
- Angelina Jolie Reportedly Turns to Johnny Depp Amid Brad Pitt Divorce
- John Carpenter Shares Brutal Thoughts on 'Halloween' Remake, Slams Rob Zombie
- Cathriona White's Letter Reveals Jim Carrey Called Her a 'Whore' and Gave Her STDs
- Artist of the Week: Lady GaGa
- 50 Cent Starts 'Empire' Feud With Taraji P. Henson, Jussie Smollett Also Weighs In
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' 2.14 Preview: An Ambush