Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer Blame 'Lone Ranger' Flop on Critics
Stars and producer of "The Lone Ranger" fire back at U.S. critics who have given the Western movie poor reviews. Speaking to Yahoo! Movies when promoting the Disney pic in the U.K., Armie Hammer and Johnny Depp along with Jerry Bruckheimer say that the reviewers are responsible for the unimpressive performance of the film at the box office.
"I think the reviews were written seven to eight months before we even released the film," Depp tells Yahoo! Movies. "I think the reviews were probably written when they heard that Gore [Verbinski] and Jerry [Bruckheimer] and I were going to do 'The Lone Ranger'. They had expectations that it must be a blockbuster. I didn't have any expectations of that. I never do."
Hammer chimes in, "While we were making it we kind of knew that people were gunning for it. I think it was the popular thing when the movie hit rocky terrain to jump on the bandwagon to try and bash it. They tried to do the same thing with 'World War Z'. It didn't work, the movie was successful. Instead they decided to slit the jugular of our movie."
Producer Bruckheimer is equally disappointed. "I think they were reviewing the budget, not reviewing the movie," he says. "It's unfortunate because the movie is a terrific movie, it's a great epic film. It has lots of humor. It's one of those movies that whatever critics missed in it this time, they'll review it in a few years and see that they made a mistake."
During a recent conference call, Disney revealed that the "Lone Ranger" failure could cost the studio up to $190 million in losses. The film cost more than $215 million to produce and has earned only $176 million worldwide so far.
- Oops! Cher Accidentally Retweets a Dick Pic
- No More Bad Blood! Taylor Swift and Calvin Harris Are Texting Again
- Rob Kardashian Crushing on His Own Sister Kim When He Was Young
- Zack Snyder Hints at Deathstroke's Cameo in 'Justice League'
- Kim Kardashian Ditches Panties in Jaw-Dropping Look at Paris Fashion Week
- Britney Spears Feels Great in Her 30s Because Her 20s Were 'Horrible'
- Listen to Niall Horan's First Solo Single 'This Town' Here!
- Kim Kardashian Is Sick of Taylor Swift Question: 'I'm So Over It'