Bob Dylan to Exhibit New Artwork at National Portrait Gallery in London
A collection of portraits by internationally acclaimed music icon Bob Dylan is scheduled to be showcased at National Portrait Gallery in London. A total of 12 pastel sketches inspired by real and fictitious characters constructed from the musician's imagination and memories will be displayed later this month.
The Gallery's director Sandy Nairne says, "Bob Dylan is one of the most influential cultural figures of our time. He has always created a highly visual world either with his words or music, or in paints and pastels. I am delighted that we can now share these 12 sketches which were made for display at the National Portrait Gallery."
He has been painting since the late 1960s, but only started exhibiting his artworks in 2007. "I've done sketching most of my life. In notebooks, on napkins, on rough paper or cardboard, plates and coffee pots ... basically when there's something to look at," he once said.
Dylan, whose real name is Robert Allen Zimmerman, previously displayed his works at the Kunstsammlungen Chemnitz in Germany, at the Halcyon Gallery in London and at the the Gagosian Gallery in New York.
Art historian John Elderfield described his paintings as "products of the same extraordinary, inventive imagination, the same mind and eye, by the same story-telling artist, for whom showing and telling - the temporal and the spatial, the verbal and the visual - are not easily separated." Music-wise, Dylan, now 72, receives highly complementary for his works. He has sold over 500 songs, 46 albums and an astonishing 110 million records worldwide, and received multiple Grammys, an Oscar and a Golden Globe among other prestigious awards.
Dubbed "Bob Dylan: Face Value", the upcoming exhibition will take place from August 24, 2013 to 5 January, 2014.
More Bob Dylan News
- Watch 'Carpool Karaoke' With Madonna and Find Out Juicy Detail of Her Night Out With Michael Jackson
- Major Lazer Mashes Up Biggest Hits of the Year for YouTube Rewind 2016 Video
- John Cena Promises to Destroy 'Saturday Night Live' in New Promo
- Katy Perry Joins Jennifer Aniston at 'Office Christmas Party' L.A. Premiere
- Kardashian Sisters Try to Block Blac Chyna From Trademarking Their Family Name. How She Reacts?
- Nick Cannon Hits Back at Dane Cook Who Shamed Him for Wearing Turban
- Johnny Depp Dubbed Hollywood's Most Overpaid Actor Again by Forbes
- 'The Bachelor' Season 21 Cast Photos: Meet 30 Girls Vying for Nick Viall's Heart