'Star Trek 3': Writers Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci to Return, Jon M. Chu Rumored to Direct
Two reports related to "Star Trek 3" have stormed the web. First off, The Hollywood Reporter learns that "Star Trek Into Darkness" scribes Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci are in negotiations to come back for the upcoming chapter that director J.J. Abrams is currently in talks to produce under the banner of his Bad Robot.
Latino Review, meanwhile, has a major scoop that may or may not be true at all. The site claims that Paramount Pictures has written down one name that is hoped to be the successor of Abrams, who is now busy prepping for "Star Wars Episode 7". The said name is reportedly Jon M. Chu, the man behind the success of Paramount's blockbuster "G.I. Joe: Retaliation".
Before Chu, several directors have been linked to the gig including Joe Cornish, Justin Lin and Brad Bird. However, none of these reports is confirmed by Paramount, which expects the next "Star Trek" installment to storm theaters in 2016 in order to coincide with the 50th Anniversary of the franchise.
Plot details on the film are not available yet, but scribe Damon Lindelof previously gave hints about it. "You can never see enough Klingons, and I think in this film we've given the audience a little taste, but there's also a promise that there's a larger conflict on the horizon, and that would be fun to see," he said to HeyUGuys while promoting "Into Darkness" in London.
Stars Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto and Zoe Saldana might be up once again for the latest gig.
*UPDATE (Aug. 5, 2013): Reps for Jon M. Chu have shot down the rumor by informing Huffington Post that "Chu has not been contacted about the project." Meanwhile, new report from Cinematallica names "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" helmer Rupert Wyatt the frontrunner for the directing gig.
More Star Trek Beyond News
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Toys Reveal First Look at Kurt Russell's Ego
- Will Kanye West Perform at Pal Donald Trump's Inauguration?
- Fergie Who? Nicole Scherzinger to Replace the Singer in Black Eyed Peas
- Tupac Shakur Biopic 'All Eyez on Me' Is Set to Be Released in Summer
- Kendall Jenner and A$AP Rocky Reignite Dating Rumors After Seen Shopping Together
- Ariana Grande Criticized for Claiming She's the 'Hardest Working 23-Year-Old' on Earth
- Lady GaGa Teases Super Bowl Performance in New Behind-the-Scenes Video
- 'Game of Thrones' Latest Tidbit Reveals This Character's Unlikely Return in Season 7