Carrie Underwood Previews Her Version of 'Sunday Night Football' Theme
Country singer and "American Idol" season three winner Carrie Underwood has previewed her rendition of NBC's "Sunday Night Football" opening theme which will make its debut during the new season's kick-off match on September 8 between home team, the Dallas Cowboys versus the New York Giants. The 30-year-old music superstar replaces fellow country music diva Faith Hill who had handled the singing chores on "Waiting All Day for Sunday Night" since 2007.
The less than 30-seconds teaser showed Underwood in the studio recording the song for "primetime TV's no. 1 show," interspersed with zoomed-in shots of the players. Compared to Hill's version, Grammy Award-winning Underwood puts a rock spin on her rendition, where she shows off her powerful vocals before finally saying, "Waiting all day for Sunday night."
The "SNF" opening theme had evolved from Hank Williams Jr.'s "All My Rowdy Friends Are Coming over Tonight" which he reworked to come up with the theme for the then "Monday Night Football" program back in 1989. Although it's Underwood's "SNF" debut, she's no longer a stranger to the NFL, having performed in the Super Bowl back in 2010 when she was tapped to sing the national anthem.
"I am thrilled to be a part of NBC's 'Sunday Night Football' and am so honored they asked me," said Underwood, who according to the show's executive producer, Fred Gaudelli, was the first and only choice to take Hill's place. "I have always loved football season, and it is so exciting to now become part of it every Sunday night!"
- Bella Hadid and Justin Bieber Accuse Selena Gomez of Using The Weeknd for Promotion
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Toys Reveal First Look at Kurt Russell's Ego
- Will Kanye West Perform at Pal Donald Trump's Inauguration?
- Fergie Who? Nicole Scherzinger to Replace the Singer in Black Eyed Peas
- Tupac Shakur Biopic 'All Eyez on Me' Is Set to Be Released in Summer
- Kendall Jenner and A$AP Rocky Reignite Dating Rumors After Seen Shopping Together
- Ariana Grande Criticized for Claiming She's the 'Hardest Working 23-Year-Old' on Earth
- Lady GaGa Teases Super Bowl Performance in New Behind-the-Scenes Video