Death Grips Scraps Lollapalooza Set, Disappointed Fans Destroy Rap Group's Equipment
Rap group Death Grips failed to show up at their scheduled Lollapalooza aftershow gig at the Bottom Lounge, Chicago, on Friday night, August 2. Fans, who had packed the venue, were disappointed after learning that the group wouldn't be playing. They then stormed the stage and destroyed the band's equipment including a drum kit that presumably belonged to Zach Hill.
Before it was announced that the band was a no show, the venue played recordings of Death Grips music on the empty stage. The stage backdrop featured a Gmail screenshot of a suicide note, which was allegedly written by a Death Grips fan.
"I am ready to take my own life. Many bad experiences led me to this dark void that I am locked in," a little part of the note read. "I'm not afraid of dying but i am afraid that I can't hear DG in the after life if there is such a thing. I don't know, but I hope your music transcends to the unknown. A place where DG's essence exists. A place where art exists."
After the show, a rep from the Bottom Lounge venue posted a statement on Facebook, informing that tickets for Death Grips show at the venue were "in the process of being refunded." "Everyone that bought tickets will have their money back shortly," the statement read. "We also would like to thank everyone at the show last night for being so incredibly cool about the situation."
"Despite being very disappointed, everyone at the show was respectful and we just wanted to let you know, that we appreciate your understanding as we were as surprised as you were. Thank You, Bottom Lounge," the statement continued.
Death Grips was supposed to perform at Lollapalooza's main event on Saturday evening, August 3. Earlier on Saturday, the Lollapalooza reps announced that Death Grip "chose not to appear" at the festival. They were replaced by Olympic gold medalist Shaun White and his band, Bad Things.
Death Grips is the second performer who pulled out of the festival. Previously, Azealia Banks decided to cancel her appearance after suffering from "severe throat infection."
- Drake Depicts Violence, Gets Steamy With a Girl in New 'Please Forgive Me' Short Film
- Kendall and Kylie Jenner Get Matching Ferraris. But Why Is One Sister Left Embarrassed?
- Angelina Jolie Reportedly Turns to Johnny Depp Amid Brad Pitt Divorce
- John Carpenter Shares Brutal Thoughts on 'Halloween' Remake, Slams Rob Zombie
- Cathriona White's Letter Reveals Jim Carrey Called Her a 'Whore' and Gave Her STDs
- Artist of the Week: Lady GaGa
- 50 Cent Starts 'Empire' Feud With Taraji P. Henson, Jussie Smollett Also Weighs In
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' 2.14 Preview: An Ambush