'2 Guns' Shoots Down 'The Wolverine' at Box Office
"2 Guns" is taking the throne at the North America box office on its debut weekend. The action thriller, which pairs Mark Wahlberg with Denzel Washington, brings down last week's champion "The Wolverine" from the top spot with $27.1 million.
Directed by Icelandic filmmaker Baltasar Kormakur, the movie interestingly attracted 49% women of the audience despite its genre and R rating. It also drew an ethnically diverse audience, with African-Americans making up 28% of the audience and Hispanics 14%.
Universal president of domestic distribution Nikki Rocco says of the pic's performance, "We're very happy to have the No. 1 opening in North America for the seventh time this year. I think the chemistry between Washington and Wahlberg was a big draw. Adults really enjoyed the film."
Hugh Jackman's "Wolverine" now has to be content with being the runner-up after storming its way to the top of the chart last week. The movie adds $21.3 million (drop 59%) for a total domestic cume of $95 million.
On the third place is new release "The Smurfs 2". Despite the commercial success of the first movie, it turned out the sequel got a lukewarm welcome as it only bags in $17.5 million for the weekend for a disappointing five-day debut of $27.3 million.
"It's a bit of a bummer how it performed here, but it's set to do big business on the world stage," Sony president of worldwide distribution Rory Bruer admits. "To be at $80 million-plus at this point with many major markets yet to go, including China, we are in a great position. It will be hugely successful for the studio."
Horror pic "The Conjuring" steps down from No. 2 to No. 4 with $13 million. "Despicable Me 2" is also down two spots to No. 5, adding $10.1 million to its current total domestic gross of $326.4 million.
Also debuting last week was "The Canyons" starring Lindsay Lohan. Despite the buzz it received leading to the movie's limited release, it failed to gain many viewers, raking in a mere $15,200 from ticket sales at the IFC Center in New York City.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for August 2-4:
- "2 Guns" - $27.1 million
- "The Wolverine" - $21.3 million
- "The Smurfs 2" - $17.5 million
- "The Conjuring" - $13 million
- "Despicable Me 2" - $10.1 million
- "Grown Ups 2" - $7.9 million
- "Turbo" - $6.2 million
- "Red 2" - $5.6 million
- "The Heat" - $4.6 million
- "Pacific Rim" - $4.5 million
- Kylie Jenner Asks Tyga to Move Back Into Her House
- Rihanna Is Unhappy Kanye West Put Her in Bed With Donald Trump and George W. Bush in 'Famous' Video
- Iggy Azalea Gets Thanked for 'Ruining Hip-Hop.' See Her Reaction
- Winona Ryder Defends Ex Johnny Depp Against Amber Heard's Abuse Allegations
- 'Star Trek Beyond' New Trailer: Captain Kirk Makes His Last Report
- Tyrese Gibson Confirms Return to 'Transformers: The Last Knight'
- Chris Brown Sued by Suge Knight Over 2014 Club Shooting. What's Breezy's Fault?
- Taylor Swift Tells Her Friends She's 'in Love' With Tom Hiddleston as Couple Enjoy Roman Holiday