New 'Bourne' Movie in the Works With Jeremy Renner and 'Sherlock Holmes' Writer
Fifth installment in the "Bourne" film series is officially under development at Universal Pictures. Tony Gilroy, who has written each chapter and directed the latest one "The Bourne Legacy", is seemingly not invited back to the project as the studio has hired "Sherlock Holmes" scribe Anthony Peckham to pen the script.
Jeremy Renner who takes on leading role as Aaron Cross in the fourth movie is set to reprise his role for the second time. Original lead Matt Damon, meanwhile, is not signed on yet at the moment. The studio surely expects him to reprise Jason Bourne role, who is absent from "Bourne Legacy" due to the actor's decision to skip.
Whether Damon returns or not probably depends on who the studio hires to serve behind the lens. When interviewed by Movieline in October 2012, the action star talked about rumored involvement in the sequel to "The Bourne Ultimatum". He said, "I've always been open to it as long as Paul Greengrass directs, I don't think he's going to do it."
Despite Damon's absence, "The Bourne Legacy" managed to perform well at the box office. In its opening weekend, the 2012 film topped the North American box office.
As of now, there is no official word on whether or not Renner's co-stars Rachel Weisz and Edward Norton will be back in the follow-up.
- 'The Voice' Season 12 Sneak Peek: Watch 29-Year-Old J. Chosen Blow the Coaches' Mind
- Sinead O'Connor Apologizes for Saying Arsenio Hall Gave Prince Drugs
- See Lethal Charlize Theron in New 'Atomic Blonde' Poster
- Brooklyn Beckham Gets Dating Advice From Anais Gallagher
- Nicole Scherzinger Goes Underwear Free in Dazzling Dress at BRIT Awards After-Party
- 'This Is Us' to Bring Back Ron Cephas Jones in Season 2 After That Emotional Road Trip
- Gigi and Bella Hadid Go Vampy for Milan Fashion Week
- NBC's 'Taken' Opening Scene Reveals How Bryan Mills' Sister Is Murdered