'MasterChef' Finalist Josh Marks Examined for Mental Illness After Violent Arrest
"MasterChef" finalist Josh Marks was involved in a violent encounter with the police on Monday, July 29, in Chicago. His attorney Lisa Marie Butler later told TMZ that Marks was undergoing an evaluation to determine if he was mentally unstable during the event.
"We are working closely with medical professionals to determine if Josh's behavior could be related to mental health symptoms. The Josh that you are hearing about in police reports this morning is not the spirited Gentle Giant that we know," the attorney said.
Previously, a police officer at University of Chicago spotted him trying to use an emergency phone. He had visible cuts on his face, so the officer approached him and asked if something happened. The cooking show contestant, however, reportedly lunged at the officer and punched him on the face. He also tried to snatch the officer's gun.
Two other officers reportedly showed up to subdue him using pepper spray and batons, but they failed. Marks allegedly broke free and ran. It took five police officers to catch him in a resident's backyard.
He later was taken into a hospital to treat his wounds. An officer asked why he reacted violently, but the 26-year-old culinary contest runner-up replied that Gordon Ramsay possessed him and turned him into God. He is still in hospital and chained to his bed.
Marks apparently showed symptoms of bipolar disorder. Fellow "MasterChef" contestant Tali Clavijo said that "Josh was two different people ... He seemed to always be a party guy, but he had this other side trying to be good. He had split personalities."
Marks was charged with felonies of aggravated battery on a peace officer and attempting to disarm a peace officer. He could face up to 14 years in jail if convicted.
- Ivanka Trump's Brother-In-Law Joshua Kushner Joined Women's March on Washington
- Like It or Not, Donald Trump's Inauguration Draws Second Biggest Ratings in 36 Years
- Madonna Defends 'Blowing Up the White House' Remark as Secret Service Is Planning to Investigate Her
- Is 'Once Upon a Time' Preparing a Musical Episode in Season 6?
- 'Split' Tops Domestic Box Office, 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' Hits $1 Billion Worldwide
- Possible First Look at Superman's Black Suit in 'Justice League' Unveiled
- The Weeknd's 'Starboy' Stays at No. 1, The xx's 'I See You' Nabs Second Place on Billboard 200
- Keke Palmer Accuses Trey Songz of 'Sexual Intimidation' for Including Her in His Video