JoJo Sues Her Record Label to Get Out of Contract
Pop/R'n'B princess JoJo has finally had enough. The 22-year-old singer is suing her record label Blackground Records and imprint Da Family for blocking her from releasing a new studio album since her 2006 gold-certified "The High Road", so she could get out of a seven album contract that will take ages to complete considering she can't even get her label to release her third album with them.
JoJo is citing a New York state law that makes it illegal for minors to sign into contracts that lasts for more than seven years to break her existing contract with her record label. Based on those grounds, the artist contends that the deal should have ended back in March 2011, since she entered into their agreement back in 2004 at age 12.
Perhaps the "Too Little, Too Late" singer has become frustrated over the release of a third album that had not materialized since 2007, whilst all that time trying to self-release music online such as the critically-acclaimed mixtape "Agape" including a music video for one of its tracks "Andre", plus a well-received cover of Drake's "Marvin's Room".
JoJo had begun showing signs of frustration earlier this year when she revealed that her relationship with her record label was non-existent. "I would just prefer to have a platform to release my music and support," she said. "I desire to have a relationship with a label, I desire to work hard and I desire to be a part of a team and be a team player. I desire support, that's all."
More JoJo News
- 'Ghostbusters' Cast Show Off the New Gadgets in Latest Featurette
- HBO Officially Confirms Jon Snow's True Parentage With This 'Game of Thrones' Infographic
- New 'Star Trek Beyond' Character Poster Shows Jaylah on Cap's Chair
- Lady GaGa and Taylor Kinney's Wedding Plan Reportedly Shelved Because of This
- Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston Make Out in Rome, Fans Say Their Romance Is 'Staged'
- Watch James Van Der Beek Channel Diplo to Promote Mad Decent Block Party
- Jessica Simpson Reportedly Hires 'Homely' Nannies Because She Fears Her Husband Will Cheat on Her
- Your Favorite 'Nashville' Stars Are Returning for Season 5. Find Out Which Ones