Jodie Foster's Role in 'Elysium' Initially for Man
Neil Blomkamp makes another big revelation about "Elysium". After revealing that Eminem was supposedly the leading man in his latest flick, the South African filmmaker this time admits that Jodie Foster's character, a hard government official named Secretary Rhodes, was originally envisioned to be tackled by a male actor.
Speaking to Entertainment Weekly, Blomkamp says that one morning, he suddenly thought of making the character a woman. As he told producer Simon Kinberg about the change, they made a list of potential actresses with Foster's name on it. "I thought, 'That would be f***ing awesome,' but there's just no way," he recalls.
Blomkamp continues sharing the story, "But then, within, like, a day I had a meeting with her and she said, 'I want to play it.' I was like, 'Holy s**t!' " Also to EW, Foster reveals she wanted to jump aboard the project in the first place because of his "District 9".
"I felt it was a perfect movie that I wished I'd been a part of," the Clarice Starling of "The Silence of the Lambs" gushes over the Oscar-nominated 2009 pic. "I was just like, 'Whatever Neill does next, I'll do.' "
In "Elysium", Foster will face off against Matt Damon, whose character tries to break into the idyllic place she protects. Recently debuting a new clip via IGN, the movie will storm theaters on August 9.
"Elysium" Clip - "He's Awake" :
- Oscar Accountants Issue an Apology Over Best Picture Blunder
- Halle Berry Rocks Big Curly Locks at the Academy Awards
- 'Batman v Superman', 'Hillary's America' Are Top Losers at Razzie Awards
- Nicole Kidman Passionately Kisses Keith Urban as He Naughtily Grabs Her Bum on Oscars' Red Carpet
- 'The Walking Dead' 7.12 Sneak Peeks: More Guns, More People, More Time
- President Donald Trump to Skip White House Correspondents' Dinner Following Tension With Press
- 'Cars 3' New Extended Teaser Introduces the Next Generation of Racers
- Lea Michele Gets Naked in Bed With a Guy Before Oscars