Jodie Foster's Role in 'Elysium' Initially for Man
Neil Blomkamp makes another big revelation about "Elysium". After revealing that Eminem was supposedly the leading man in his latest flick, the South African filmmaker this time admits that Jodie Foster's character, a hard government official named Secretary Rhodes, was originally envisioned to be tackled by a male actor.
Speaking to Entertainment Weekly, Blomkamp says that one morning, he suddenly thought of making the character a woman. As he told producer Simon Kinberg about the change, they made a list of potential actresses with Foster's name on it. "I thought, 'That would be f***ing awesome,' but there's just no way," he recalls.
Blomkamp continues sharing the story, "But then, within, like, a day I had a meeting with her and she said, 'I want to play it.' I was like, 'Holy s**t!' " Also to EW, Foster reveals she wanted to jump aboard the project in the first place because of his "District 9".
"I felt it was a perfect movie that I wished I'd been a part of," the Clarice Starling of "The Silence of the Lambs" gushes over the Oscar-nominated 2009 pic. "I was just like, 'Whatever Neill does next, I'll do.' "
In "Elysium", Foster will face off against Matt Damon, whose character tries to break into the idyllic place she protects. Recently debuting a new clip via IGN, the movie will storm theaters on August 9.
"Elysium" Clip - "He's Awake" :
- Jeremih Allegedly Sends a Body Double to Perform for Him in Houston
- Twitter Trolls Respond to Amy Schumer's 'Barbie' Casting With Fat-Shaming Comments
- Kylie Jenner Braves the Cold Weather in Racy Bikini in These Pics
- Naked Jai Courtney Chased 'Suicide Squad' Director Around on Set. See the NSFW Photo!
- Robert Pattinson Is Proud of Kristen Stewart and Is 'Super Impressed' With Her Rolling Stones Video
- Lady GaGa Wants Fans to Join Her at Super Bowl Halftime Show
- Supergirl to Battle Superman's Villain Mr. Mxyzptlk This Season
- J. Cole Disses Fellow Rappers on New Song 'False Prophet'