Jodie Foster's Role in 'Elysium' Initially for Man
Neil Blomkamp makes another big revelation about "Elysium". After revealing that Eminem was supposedly the leading man in his latest flick, the South African filmmaker this time admits that Jodie Foster's character, a hard government official named Secretary Rhodes, was originally envisioned to be tackled by a male actor.
Speaking to Entertainment Weekly, Blomkamp says that one morning, he suddenly thought of making the character a woman. As he told producer Simon Kinberg about the change, they made a list of potential actresses with Foster's name on it. "I thought, 'That would be f***ing awesome,' but there's just no way," he recalls.
Blomkamp continues sharing the story, "But then, within, like, a day I had a meeting with her and she said, 'I want to play it.' I was like, 'Holy s**t!' " Also to EW, Foster reveals she wanted to jump aboard the project in the first place because of his "District 9".
"I felt it was a perfect movie that I wished I'd been a part of," the Clarice Starling of "The Silence of the Lambs" gushes over the Oscar-nominated 2009 pic. "I was just like, 'Whatever Neill does next, I'll do.' "
In "Elysium", Foster will face off against Matt Damon, whose character tries to break into the idyllic place she protects. Recently debuting a new clip via IGN, the movie will storm theaters on August 9.
"Elysium" Clip - "He's Awake" :
- Angelina Jolie Reportedly Wants to Adopt Baby With British Boyfriend
- Back at It! Natalie Portman Returns to Work After Giving Birth to Daughter Amalia
- Cara Delevingne Sports Bald Head on 'Life in a Year' Filming Set
- Elton John Cancels Entire Las Vegas Shows Due to 'Unusual Bacterial Infection'
- Finding 'Comfort,' Brad Pitt Plans to Buy New Place in L.A. Arts District After Angelina Jolie Split
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Star Jesse Williams and Wife Split After Nearly 5 Years of Marriage
- Hollywood Writers Authorize a Strike. Will It Repeat the 2007 WGA Strike?
- Ben Affleck Steps Out for First Time Since Filing for Divorce From Jennifer Garner