Jodie Foster's Role in 'Elysium' Initially for Man
Neil Blomkamp makes another big revelation about "Elysium". After revealing that Eminem was supposedly the leading man in his latest flick, the South African filmmaker this time admits that Jodie Foster's character, a hard government official named Secretary Rhodes, was originally envisioned to be tackled by a male actor.
Speaking to Entertainment Weekly, Blomkamp says that one morning, he suddenly thought of making the character a woman. As he told producer Simon Kinberg about the change, they made a list of potential actresses with Foster's name on it. "I thought, 'That would be f***ing awesome,' but there's just no way," he recalls.
Blomkamp continues sharing the story, "But then, within, like, a day I had a meeting with her and she said, 'I want to play it.' I was like, 'Holy s**t!' " Also to EW, Foster reveals she wanted to jump aboard the project in the first place because of his "District 9".
"I felt it was a perfect movie that I wished I'd been a part of," the Clarice Starling of "The Silence of the Lambs" gushes over the Oscar-nominated 2009 pic. "I was just like, 'Whatever Neill does next, I'll do.' "
In "Elysium", Foster will face off against Matt Damon, whose character tries to break into the idyllic place she protects. Recently debuting a new clip via IGN, the movie will storm theaters on August 9.
"Elysium" Clip - "He's Awake" :
- Keira Knightley Defended by Directors and Fellow Stars After John Carney Trashed Her
- Jena Malone and Boyfriend Welcome Baby Boy - Meet Baby Ode!
- 'Shield' Actor Michael Jace Convicted of Second-Degree Murder for Shooting His Wife
- First Look at Harry, Ginny and Albus in 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child'
- Mark Salling Fired From 'Gods and Secrets' After Indicted for Child Pornography
- Emilia Clarke Wants to Be the First Female James Bond With This Hunk as Her Bond 'Boy'
- Johnny Depp Wasn't Even Near Amber Heard When He Allegedly Hit Her, Witnesses Say
- Is Olivia Culpo Dating Danny Amendola? Here's the Proof