Basketball Player Daniel Gibson Turns Himself In for Battery
Daniel Gibson, the husband of R&B singer Keyshia Cole, has been charged with second degree battery and assault following an altercation which took place earlier this month. The former Cleveland Cavaliars player allegedly punched a man and consequently broke his jaw. He turned himself into the New Orleans Police Department on Monday, July 29.
The basketball player has released a statement to TMZ after reports of his arrest emerged. "Earlier this month during the Essence Music Festival, I was involved in an incident with other individuals while I was out with my wife," the 27-year-old athlete explained.
"It's unfortunate that some see opportunity in taking advantage of people who work hard for what they have achieved," he said of the incident. The athlete, who admitted that he took pride of being role model to his child and other children, added, "Once all the facts of the incident come out, I expect to be fully vindicated."
According to the police, Gibson was accused of breaking a man's jaw during an altercation which took place on July 8. Officials said that the fight apparently happened as a result of verbal argument. Reports suggested that Gibson lost his cool after the man insulted Cole in profane way. He was booked on 2nd degree battery, but released on Monday at 1:09 A.M. local time.
Cole, who collaborated with Lil Wayne for "Enough for No Love", got married to the professional basketball player in 2011. The pair are parents to a 3-year-old boy, Daniel.
- 'Outlander' Casts David Berry in Pivotal Role of Lord John Grey
- 'Zombieland 2' Still Happening With Original's Scribes on Board
- Kim Kardashian Reportedly Furious Over Blac Chyna's Naked Photos for Paper Magazine
- Stephen Colbert Takes on Anthony Weiner's Sexting Scandal, Spoofs Beyonce's VMA Performance
- The Homeless Guy Accepting Miley Cyrus' Moonman at 2014 VMAs Is Selling the Trophy
- Beyonce's Daughter Blue Ivy Wears a $11,000 Dress to the VMAs Because of Course She Does
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Reportedly Eyes Liam Garrigan to Portray King Arthur
- No, It's Not Britney! Kourtney Kardashian Plays With Huge Snake in This Cringe-Inducing Picture