Rihanna Fined $47,050 for Multiple Deposition Absences
For failing to appear in court and sit down for her deposition, the judge on Rihanna's case against her former money managers Berdon LLP penalized the Barbadian princess with a fine amounting to $47,050. RiRi was apparently pulling off a Lindsay Lohan on her ex-accountants by intentionally missing out on her court appointments but the firm decided to take legal action against her antics.
Rihanna sued Berdon LLP back in 2012 for allegedly mismanaging her money but the pop superstar kept on committing multiple absences for court-related depositions since November of last year. The last straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak, was RiRi's non-appearance for a June 19 deposition that was set up in London just to accommodate the singer's schedule, consequently costing the accounting firm $100,000 in expenses.
Berdon LLP had actually asked the judge to drop the multi-million dollar case and penalize RiRi $100,000 for their wasted time and resources. Despite the case still standing and a considerably lower fine than what was demanded, the firm had been somehow vindicated after having been "pushed beyond the breaking point" by RiRi's inexcusable behavior especially for claiming she was sick to attend the scheduled deposition but then tweeting about her tour performances.
Aside from the fine, Rihanna has also been ordered to appear for a final meeting on August 28 to finally get the matter resolved. Although the fine is considered loose change for the high-earning entertainer, she stands to lose millions if she doesn't make it to the said appointment, as the judge warns the lawsuit she filed stands to be dropped if she fails to show up.
More Rihanna News
- 'Once Upon a Time' 6.02 Preview Promises Revelation of the Saviors' Secret
- Did Faith Evans Just Expose Her Vagina in Front of the Crowd? See the Evidence!
- 'Magnificent Seven' Debuts Strong on Domestic Box Office, 'Bridget Jones's Baby' Tops Overseas
- Josh Brolin Ties the Knot With Longtime Girlfriend Kathryn Boyd. See the Photos
- Drake's 'Views' Returns to No. 1 on Billboard 200 for 13th Week
- Idina Menzel Debuts Engagement Ring From Fiance Aaron Lohr at iHeartRadio Music Festival
- Jennifer Aniston and Justin Theroux Hold Hands in NYC Following Split Rumors
- Backstreet Boys Joins Florida Georgia Line at iHeartRadio Music Festival. Plus Other Performances!