Starz Renews Michael Bay's 'Black Sails' Ahead of Its Debut
Starz is apparently highly confident about its upcoming series "Black Sails". The network has given an early renewal to the Michael Bay-produced show, more than five months before the series' scheduled premiere in January 2014.
"Michael Bay, Jon Steinberg and their teams delivered a spectacular first season of Black Sails, and we are incredibly proud of everyone's work," Starz CEO Chris Albrecht explains the early renewal. "Based on the strong fan response to the preview screening at last week's Comic-Con, we felt an early order for a second season would allow the writers, cast and crew enough time and space to continue crafting such unique and epic storytelling."
The pirate adventure series centers on the tales of Captain Flint and his men and takes place twenty years prior to Robert Louis Stevenson's classic "Treasure Island." Flint, the most brilliant and most feared pirate captain of his day, takes on a fast-talking young addition to his crew who goes by the name John Silver. Threatened with extinction on all sides, they fight for the survival of New Providence Island.
Toby Stephens is cast in the lead role of Captain Flint, with Luke Arnold, Zach McGowan, Toby Schmitz, Tom Hopper and more taking supporting roles. Filming takes place on elaborate sets in South Africa. Production of the second season is set to begin in November.
Giving a second season order to a not-yet-premiered show isn't uncommon for Showtime. The network previously gave early renewal to "Boss", "Magic City" and "Spartacus".
- Taylor Swift Resurfaces With New Look in a Congratulatory Video for Russell Westbrook
- Pregnant Serena Williams Poses Nearly Nude for Vanity Fair
- Scott Disick Risks Liver Failure With His Binge Drinking Habit
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Series Finale Photos: Get First Look at Aria's Wedding Dress
- Is Khloe Kardashian Pregnant? Tristan Thompson Believes She Will Be the 'Best Mom'
- Insecure Kylie Jenner Thinks She's Ugly
- Beyonce Writes a Song About Her Newborn Twins, Plans to Release New Album Before Coachella 2018
- Gillian Anderson Goes Makeup-Free and Ditches Bra During Her Stay in Italy