Kate Middleton Topless Photos Scandal Perpetrator Formally Charged
A year after Kate Middleton's topless photos scandal broke out, the editor of the French magazine which published the said photos has now been formally charged with breach of France's privacy laws. Following his arrest earlier in July, Closer editor Laurence Pieau joins publishing director Ernesto Mauri and photographer Valerie Suau who were both charged in April.
The photos were taken in September 2012 while the Duchess of Cambridge was sunbathing with Prince William at the Chateau d'Autet in Provence, France. The royal couple immediately filed a lawsuit against the magazine for "grotesque" invasion of privacy.
Pieau found no remorse in her decision to publish the photos, saying at the time the pics came out, "These photos are not in the least shocking." She argued, "They show a young woman sunbathing topless, like the millions of women you see on beaches."
In a statement released by S. James Palace, then newlyweds William and Kate felt "the incident is reminiscent of the worst excesses of the press and paparazzi during the life of Diana, Princess of Wales." Condemning the magazine and the people behind the topless photo scandal, they stated, "It is unthinkable that anyone should take such photographs, let alone publish them."
With this latest development in the case, the couple has another reason to celebrate, just a few days after the birth of their first son Prince George Alexander Louis last Tuesday.
- Watch: Louis Tomlinson Performs 'Just Hold On' in Honor of His Late Mother
- Jennifer Lawrence Apologizes to Hawaiian People for Joking About Sacred Rocks
- Tim Miller Opens Up on Why He Left 'Deadpool 2'
- Donald Trump Clarifies 'Apprentice' Rumors, Insists He Will Devote 'Zero Time' to the Show
- Tom Holland Enrolled in High School Under Fake Name for 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'
- Kylie Jenner Awkwardly Gets Turned Down When Trying to Carry Tyga's Son King Cairo
- Mandy Moore and Milo Ventimiglia Share Adorable 'This Is Us' Family Photos. See Who's Missing
- Ryan Reynolds Wants 'Deadpool' / 'Wolverine' Crossover to Happen