Jane Fonda Channels Nancy Reagan in 'Lee Daniels' The Butler' Clip
The recently-christened "Lee Daniels' The Butler" has debuted a new clip which features Jane Fonda in her role as Nancy Reagan. Fans are not only treated to a scene where she and leading man Forest Whitaker have conversation as the video later includes a brief interview with the 75-year-old actress herself.
"I don't think that whatever differences there might be in our politics really matters," Fonda, a loud and proud liberal activist, says. The Oscar winner, who acted alongside Jennifer Lopez in "Monster-in-Law", continues saying, "As an actor I approach her as a human being, and I happen to know she's not unhappy that I'm playing her."
Following the announcement about the casting choice, many U.S. conservatives have despised Fonda and even launched campaigns to get people to boycott the movie. One of them is Larry Reyes, a Navy veteran who started a Facebook campaign called "Boycott Hanoi Jane Playing Nancy Reagan" and described her casting as a "slap in the face."
Based on a true story of former White House butler Eugene Allen, the historical drama centers on Cecil Gaines who serves eight American presidents over three decades. The film traces the dramatic changes felt by American society at that time, from the civil rights movement to Vietnam and beyond, and how those changes affect the man's life and family.
Oprah Winfrey, Alan Rickman, Robin Williams, Mariah Carey and John Cusack are among the cast members of the Weinstein Co. drama.
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival