Jane Fonda Channels Nancy Reagan in 'Lee Daniels' The Butler' Clip
The recently-christened "Lee Daniels' The Butler" has debuted a new clip which features Jane Fonda in her role as Nancy Reagan. Fans are not only treated to a scene where she and leading man Forest Whitaker have conversation as the video later includes a brief interview with the 75-year-old actress herself.
"I don't think that whatever differences there might be in our politics really matters," Fonda, a loud and proud liberal activist, says. The Oscar winner, who acted alongside Jennifer Lopez in "Monster-in-Law", continues saying, "As an actor I approach her as a human being, and I happen to know she's not unhappy that I'm playing her."
Following the announcement about the casting choice, many U.S. conservatives have despised Fonda and even launched campaigns to get people to boycott the movie. One of them is Larry Reyes, a Navy veteran who started a Facebook campaign called "Boycott Hanoi Jane Playing Nancy Reagan" and described her casting as a "slap in the face."
Based on a true story of former White House butler Eugene Allen, the historical drama centers on Cecil Gaines who serves eight American presidents over three decades. The film traces the dramatic changes felt by American society at that time, from the civil rights movement to Vietnam and beyond, and how those changes affect the man's life and family.
Oprah Winfrey, Alan Rickman, Robin Williams, Mariah Carey and John Cusack are among the cast members of the Weinstein Co. drama.
- 'The Predator' Release Date Pushed Back
- 'Deadpool 2' and 'New Mutants' Get Release Dates
- Video: Kylie Jenner Holding Hands With Travis Scott
- 'X-Men: Dark Phoenix' and Release Date Officially Announced
- Jay-Z Renews Deal With Live Nation
- 'Avatar' Sequels Release Dates Unveiled
- Kourtney Kardashian Goes Undercover as News Reporter and Nobody Recognizes Her
- Carmelo and La La Anthony Put on United Front for Sake of Their Son