Disney Channel to End 'Shake It Up' After Three Seasons
Disney Channel won't play the music again for "Shake It Up". The network has reportedly decided to pull the plug on the comedy series, which stars Bella Thorne and Zendaya Coleman as two best friends who become background dancers on fictional teen dance show "Shake it Up, Chicago".
The Hollywood Reporter confirms the news first brought into attention by Deadline. The show will wrap up after airing 78 episodes, with the final episodes expected to roll out this summer and fall. A specific date for the series finale is not announced yet.
Despite the show's ending, Coleman will stay on the teen-targeted network. The former "Dancing with the Stars" contestant has signed a deal to lead a Disney Channel original movie based on the novel "Boys Are Dogs". Production for the film will start in August.
As for Thorne, she has been attached to "Blended", a romantic comedy movie in which she will star opposite Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore.
"Shake It Up" is still going strong on Disney Channel, but it has been the network's tradition to cancel its shows while they're on top. The network recently announced that it wouldn't renew "Good Luck Charlie", which will have aired 100 episodes by early 2014.
The move is possibly taken to give room for newly-ordered series, "Boy Meets World" spin-off "Girl Meets World" and twin series "I Didn't Do It".
- Mantis Reveals Star-Lord's Deep Dark Secret in 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' New Trailer
- Watch: Rita Ora Drops Her Top in Raunchy Love Advent Video
- Britney Spears Gets Surprise Birthday Cake on Stage at 2016 Jingle Ball
- Granger Smith Broke His Rips and Punctured His Lung After Falling From Stage
- Madonna Wants to Remarry Sean Penn for $150,000 at Miami's Art Basel
- Chris Evans Feels 'Rage' Over 'Last Tango in Paris' Real Rape Scene
- Mariah Carey Not Too Keen on Comparison Between Her Alter Ego Bianca and Beyonce's Sasha Fierce
- Mark Wahlberg Criticizes Fellow Celebs Who Talk About Politics