Disney Channel to End 'Shake It Up' After Three Seasons
Disney Channel won't play the music again for "Shake It Up". The network has reportedly decided to pull the plug on the comedy series, which stars Bella Thorne and Zendaya Coleman as two best friends who become background dancers on fictional teen dance show "Shake it Up, Chicago".
The Hollywood Reporter confirms the news first brought into attention by Deadline. The show will wrap up after airing 78 episodes, with the final episodes expected to roll out this summer and fall. A specific date for the series finale is not announced yet.
Despite the show's ending, Coleman will stay on the teen-targeted network. The former "Dancing with the Stars" contestant has signed a deal to lead a Disney Channel original movie based on the novel "Boys Are Dogs". Production for the film will start in August.
As for Thorne, she has been attached to "Blended", a romantic comedy movie in which she will star opposite Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore.
"Shake It Up" is still going strong on Disney Channel, but it has been the network's tradition to cancel its shows while they're on top. The network recently announced that it wouldn't renew "Good Luck Charlie", which will have aired 100 episodes by early 2014.
The move is possibly taken to give room for newly-ordered series, "Boy Meets World" spin-off "Girl Meets World" and twin series "I Didn't Do It".
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival