Artist of the Week: Ciara
Following the lukewarm welcome received by her fourth LP "Basic Instinct" which she blamed on her former label Jive Records's lack of support, Ciara is back storming into the top ten of Billboard Hot 200 with her her eponymously-titled fifth album. She reunited with her long-term mentor L.A. Reid, who is credited with discovering her in 2003, crafting "Ciara", which has been dubbed the strongest in her discography.
Initially called "One Woman Army", the album which was released under Epic Records features her signature crossover R&B pop with infectious beats to ballads, which shows her strong vocals and maturity in songwriting. It's led by "Body Party" as the first official single, after some previously released singles failed the catch the heart of music lovers.
Ciara is indeed more mature as a person and it's reflected in her new music. "Acceptance of my emotional vulnerability became my friend, and I found my grounding rod in it," she opened up. "My approach to things is so different now. I know I am a young woman, but it was hard to absorb all the influences of the attention and fame you get as a performer when I was only 16 years old. It was a lot to take in all at once. I am just not understanding it all."
"I can sometimes be afraid of my own vulnerability, but this time I let myself face it. I let myself feel. I let myself be real. I let myself be hurt and be healed. It came out in the music instead of holding it all in. I look back and feel like I was almost a robot of myself. I am so much more comfortable in my own skin. It's fun."
The 27-year-old went on gushing, "This album is a refreshing exploration for me. It feels like nothing else I've ever done, but at the same time feels to much like it came from the same DNA of who I truly am."
More Ciara News
- Kanye West Robbed, Computers Stolen From His Studio
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Announces Big Reveal on May 31
- Dwayne Johnson Hints at Darker Hobbs in 'Fast and Furious 8' Image
- Paul Bettany Defends Johnny Depp Amid Amber Heard's Domestic Violence Accusations
- Khloe, Kourtney Kardashian, Tyga Celebrate Scott Disick's Birthday in Vegas
- Kate Beckinsale: Michael Bay Was Baffled Because 'My Boobs Weren't Bigger Than My Head'
- 'Maze Runner 3' Pushed Back to 2018 as Dylan O'Brien Is Still on the Mend After On-Set Accident
- PND Serenades Kylie Jenner After She Called Him Out for Deleting Her on Social Media