'The Conjuring' Outperforms Ryan Reynolds' Two Movies at Box Office
Without any strong competition, "The Conjuring" easily makes its way to the top spot at the box office. The movie from director James Wan grabs $41.9 million for Warner Bros. Pictures and, therefore, sets a new record for the best opening ever for an R-rated horror pic. Trailing behind it is the two-time champ "Despicable Me 2" which makes another $24.9 million in its third week.
Ryan Reynolds, meanwhile, finds no luck following the results of "Turbo" and "R.I.P.D.". The snail animated film cannot top "Despicable Me 2" as it debuts in the third position with $21.3 million for 20th Century Fox. As for the latter movie, the buddy cop comedy also starring Jeff Bridges opens to a disappointing $12.7 million in No. 7.
Another new entry this weekend also makes a modest debut. Playing in 3016 theaters, "Red 2" which stars Bruce Willis, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Helen Mirren among others ranks fifth with $18 million. Taking in the fourth slot is Adam Sandler's "Grown Ups 2" that grabs another $19.9 million in its second run.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for July 19 - 21:
- "The Conjuring" - $41.9 million
- "Despicable Me 2" - $24.9 million
- "Turbo" - $21.3 million
- "Grown Ups 2" - $19.9 million
- "Red 2" - $18 million
- "Pacific Rim" - $16 million
- "R.I.P.D." - $12.7 million
- "The Heat" - $9.3 million
- "World War Z" - $5.2 million
- "Monsters University" - $5.1 million
- Drake Reportedly Has 'Weed Overdose'
- Kanye West 'Would Love to Have More Kids' With Kim Kardashian
- Justin Bieber Facing Arrest in Brazil Over Graffiti Case
- Peter Parker Wants to Be Like Iron Man in New 'Spider-Man Homecoming' Trailer
- Kris Jenner and Corey Gamble Break Up
- Cuba Gooding Jr. Generates Online Outrage After Lifting Up Sarah Paulson's Skirt at PaleyFest
- New Footage of 'Blade Runner 2049' Is Screened at CinemaCon
- Nina Agdal Flaunts Her Enviable Figure in Skimpy Bikinis for New Swimwear Campaign