Comic-Con 2013: Brutal Kill Teased in 'Riddick' Red-Band Trailer
The San Diego Comic-Con got even hotter right as Vin Diesel, along with co-star Katee Sackhoff and director David Twohy, took the stage to present devoted fans gathering in Hall H with a red-band trailer. The video promises the film will be way bloodier and darker than its predecessors as one scene of a brutal kill is previewed.
During the panel, Twohy shared some behind-the-scenes stories to the audience. "Once we realized we were not going to be a studio picture and we were going to be an independent movie, it became daunting and exciting," he said. "Production meetings were in Vin's kitchen. He'd roam around, trying not to smoke his American Spirits."
Diesel added, "When the audience asked for this movie to be Rated-R, it actually helped us get the movie made, because we didn't have to spend $200 million to make the movie." He continued, "The film maintains the style and tempo of 'Pitch Black', while still servicing the mythology."
Diesel, who wore a black shirt with "Furyan" printed on it, revealed that one particular game had helped his approach to his character in the film. " 'Dungeons & Dragons' was a training ground for my imagination in so many ways," he said. "I have friends in Hollywood that tease me, saying I'm attempting to 'DM' Hollywood."
Asked what drove Riddick, the actor replied, "When I watch the Riddick character, there's a part of me that feels guilty for having such a darkness in that character. And I look at what he's doing and I go, 'That wasn't cool. You shouldn't have killed that guy.' "
Sackhoff, meanwhile, admitted what she loved about her character Dahl was that she "makes no apologies." She reasoned, "With Dahl there was no vulnerability other than that she was a woman. And I got to shoot really big guns. That's always fun for me. I think my gun was the biggest one."
"Riddick" is scheduled to open in the U.S. on September 6.
- Anne Hathaway Admits She Faked Happiness During Her 2013 Oscar Win
- 'Real Housewives of Miami' Star Larsa Splits From Husband Scottie Pippen Amid Future Romance Rumor
- Former Bachelorette Desiree Hartsock Gives Birth to Baby Boy
- Jennifer Lawrence to Lead Zelda Fitzgerald Biopic
- Kim Kardashian's Family Shares Throwbacks and Birthday Wishes as She Turns 36
- Chris Pratt to Return to TV as Guest Star on His Wife Anna Faris' 'Mom'
- Katy Perry and Pharrell Williams Named Co-Chairs for 2017 Met Gala
- Shailene Woodley Writes Powerful Essay About Her Arrest During Pipeline Protest