Comic-Con 2013: Brutal Kill Teased in 'Riddick' Red-Band Trailer
The San Diego Comic-Con got even hotter right as Vin Diesel, along with co-star Katee Sackhoff and director David Twohy, took the stage to present devoted fans gathering in Hall H with a red-band trailer. The video promises the film will be way bloodier and darker than its predecessors as one scene of a brutal kill is previewed.
During the panel, Twohy shared some behind-the-scenes stories to the audience. "Once we realized we were not going to be a studio picture and we were going to be an independent movie, it became daunting and exciting," he said. "Production meetings were in Vin's kitchen. He'd roam around, trying not to smoke his American Spirits."
Diesel added, "When the audience asked for this movie to be Rated-R, it actually helped us get the movie made, because we didn't have to spend $200 million to make the movie." He continued, "The film maintains the style and tempo of 'Pitch Black', while still servicing the mythology."
Diesel, who wore a black shirt with "Furyan" printed on it, revealed that one particular game had helped his approach to his character in the film. " 'Dungeons & Dragons' was a training ground for my imagination in so many ways," he said. "I have friends in Hollywood that tease me, saying I'm attempting to 'DM' Hollywood."
Asked what drove Riddick, the actor replied, "When I watch the Riddick character, there's a part of me that feels guilty for having such a darkness in that character. And I look at what he's doing and I go, 'That wasn't cool. You shouldn't have killed that guy.' "
Sackhoff, meanwhile, admitted what she loved about her character Dahl was that she "makes no apologies." She reasoned, "With Dahl there was no vulnerability other than that she was a woman. And I got to shoot really big guns. That's always fun for me. I think my gun was the biggest one."
"Riddick" is scheduled to open in the U.S. on September 6.
- Johnny Depp Wasn't Even Near Amber Heard When He Allegedly Hit Her, Witnesses Say
- Is Olivia Culpo Dating Danny Amendola? Here's the Proof
- Brad Pitt Reportedly Worries About 'Anorexic' and 'Fragile' Angelina Jolie
- Dan Aykroyd on Why 'Ghostbusters' Reboot Is Worth Watching: It Has More Laughs and More Scares
- Gwen Stefani Releases Fashionable 'Misery' Music Video
- Harambe the Gorilla Shooting Sparks Outrage Among Hollywood Stars
- Brooklyn Beckham Flaunting His Abs in This Shirtless Selfie Will Make You Drool
- 'Game of Thrones': George R. R. Martin Reveals Brienne's Backstory