Comic-Con 2013: 'Kick-Ass 2' Screens New Footage, Co-Stars Feel Sad About Jim Carrey's Absence
"Kick-Ass 2" took the San Diego Comic-Con stage to present new exclusive footage from the action sequel on Friday, July 19. Not only were movieholics treated to the brand new video, but also they got a rare chance to meet and greet the cast members much closer. Director Jeff Wadlow was joined on stage by Aaron Johnson and villain Christopher Mintz-Plasse.
Wadlow, who also pens the film alongside Matthew Vaughn, shared how he got involved in the production in the first place. "I'm the fan boy who saw the first one in the theater," he said. Wadlow then revealed that Johnson and Mintz-Plasse were initially not contractually obligated to play in the sequel, but decided to do so out of their own interest.
"The script was a page-turner," reasoned Johnson, who will also be on hand for "Godzilla" panel on Saturday. He continued, "I was cracking up laughing, and it was really emotional. Each character goes through a lot of life changes."
Mintz-Plasse, meanwhile, talked about the film's dark tone and his costume, which he described as "a gimp outfit." After he finished talking, Chloe Moretz then appeared on the big screen via satellite from Boston where she is filming "The Equalizer".
Moretz said that even though Hit Girl already lost his father, the presence of Big Daddy in the second installment would still be very strong. Lindy Booth, Donald Faison and John Leguizamo were then introduced to the audience as new cast members and given time to talk about their first-time involvement.
Off the stage, Johnson told MTV News that he felt "sad" Jim Carrey was absent, to which Mintz-Plasse nodded in agreement. "He's so full of passion. He brings that energy that energy. He raises the bar high. I had a fantastic time working with him. You will enjoy watching him," Johnson said.
Last June, Carrey made a shocking announcement on Twitter that he could not support level of violence in the film and, therefore, would not be on hand in any promo effort. Mintz-Plasse revealed he had not contacted Carrey since the said posts hit the web.
"Kick-Ass 2" has recently debuted a new red-band trailer. It is due out August 16.
- 'Outlander' Casts David Berry in Pivotal Role of Lord John Grey
- 'Zombieland 2' Still Happening With Original's Scribes on Board
- Kim Kardashian Reportedly Furious Over Blac Chyna's Naked Photos for Paper Magazine
- Stephen Colbert Takes on Anthony Weiner's Sexting Scandal, Spoofs Beyonce's VMA Performance
- The Homeless Guy Accepting Miley Cyrus' Moonman at 2014 VMAs Is Selling the Trophy
- Beyonce's Daughter Blue Ivy Wears a $11,000 Dress to the VMAs Because of Course She Does
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Reportedly Eyes Liam Garrigan to Portray King Arthur
- No, It's Not Britney! Kourtney Kardashian Plays With Huge Snake in This Cringe-Inducing Picture