Comic-Con 2013: 'Veronica Mars' Debuts First Footage, Reveals Casting Surprise
"Veronica Mars" movie received a warm welcome from fans gathering at San Diego Comic-Con. On Friday, July 19, creator/director Rob Thomas, leading lady Kristen Bell and the rest of the cast members opened the panel with the screening of first brief footage that apparently offers a small casting surprise.
"I can tell you that it sort of has a 'Godfather III' theme to it," Thomas said of the footage. "Which is odd, because why not pick 'Godfather II'? It was better ... I can tell you [Veronica] has not worked as a private detective since the last time you saw her. Part of this movie is her getting back into this life she thought she left behind."
From the teaser video, it is revealed that Veronica is now a lawyer in New York City. She is then featured in a job interview with a prospective employer, who turns out to be played by "Freaky Friday" actress Jamie Lee Curtis.
Lee Curtis herself was not present on stage. Joining Bell for the promo effort were Enrico Colatoni, Percy Daggs III, Francis Capra, Ryan Hansen, Tina Majorino, Chris Lowell who wore a "Team Logan" shirt to avoid "death threats" (his character, Piz, broke up Veronica's relationship with Logan on the series) and Jason Dohring who showed up with "Team Piz" printed on his shirt.
Bell revealed her first line as the Neptune heroine to everyone. "Charming drink names. I can't decide between a Beast With Two Backs and a Donkey Punch. Do you think they'd let me order a virgin De-Virginator?" she drew laughs.
Meanwhile, Thomas thanked all Kickstarter backers for supporting the film, which is set to hit theaters in early 2014, and also told everyone that he expected "Veronica Mars" "to be the 'Bond' franchise."
- Priyanka Chopra Throws Her Hat Into the Ring to Be Female James Bond
- Listen to a Preview of Shawn Mendes' New Song 'Better'
- Elijah Wood Clarifies Comment on Child Sex Abuse in Hollywood, Says It's Misinterpreted
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Confirms Someone's Getting Married in Season 7
- Anne Hathaway Throws Shade at the Kardashians, Says It's Unintentional
- Eminem Sells Bricks of His Childhood Home for 'Marshall Mathers LP' Anniversary
- Did Jennifer Lawrence Just Say She Was Under the Influence While Filming 'The Hunger Games'?
- Helen Hunt Mistaken for Jodie Foster by Starbucks Barista. Read the Funny Story