Jennifer Lopez Reportedly Earns Millions Performing for 'World's Worst Thugs'
Human Rights Foundation claimed that Jennifer Lopez had made at least $10 million by performing for "some of the world's worst thugs". The report came a month after Lopez serenaded "Happy Birthday" to controversial president of Turkmenistan, Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedow.
Lopez later apologized for participating at the lavish party, saying that she was unaware of the country's oppressive rulings. "Had there been knowledge of human rights issues any kind, Jennifer would not have attended," Lopez's rep said in a statement.
HRF President Thor Halvorssen has another opinion about Lopez's lack-of-knowledge explanation. "What those covering this story have missed is that J.Lo and her management have misled her fans and the public," he said in a statement posted on the organization's website.
"J.Lo has repeatedly mingled with and entertained some of the world's worst thugs and their cronies. The 'Jenny-from-the-block-who-doesn't-Google' clarification may be credible in one instance, but it beggars belief in light of a pattern of repeated behavior," Halvorsen continued. "This is not about ignorance, it's about greed."
HRF then listed several events that involved Lopez and some "crooks and dictators from Eastern Europe and Russia." In 2011, for example, Lopez reportedly earned $1 million from corrupt Uzbek industrialist Azam Aslanov for performing at his son's wedding. In November 2012, Lopez was paid $2 million for singing "Happy Birthday" to Alexander Yolkin, a Russian bureaucrat who has been accused of corruption.
"The collective outrage that now follows Lopez's behavior is a categorical signal that it is not right to enjoy a free society, and then seek to profit from those who have acquired their riches from cronyism and the wholesale negation of human rights," Halvorssen said again.
"Performers are frequently blinded by greed and they willfully sidestep reality and become part of the public relations machinery of the world's worst people. They should be disqualified from having any moral standing to opine about matters involving human rights or business ethics," he added.
More Jennifer Lopez News
- 'Game of Thrones' Season 7: Major Spoiler About Daenerys Leaked
- Emma Roberts and Ex Evan Peters Spark Reconciliation Rumors After Spotted Together
- Taylor Swift NOT Hooking Up With Todrick Hall
- Katy Perry Unveils Three 'Rise' Remixes
- New 'Empire' Season 3 Trailer Gives First Look at Mariah Carey's Kitty
- New 'Thor: Ragnarok' Set Pics Reveal Thor and Loki's Costume and Tease a Mystery Character
- Cara Delevingne Goes Bottomless to Raise Awareness for Cancer. See the Racy Snap
- Kim and Kourtney Throw Pampering Session for Khloe Kardashian Following Her Second Divorce Filing