Jennifer Lopez Reportedly Earns Millions Performing for 'World's Worst Thugs'
Human Rights Foundation claimed that Jennifer Lopez had made at least $10 million by performing for "some of the world's worst thugs". The report came a month after Lopez serenaded "Happy Birthday" to controversial president of Turkmenistan, Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedow.
Lopez later apologized for participating at the lavish party, saying that she was unaware of the country's oppressive rulings. "Had there been knowledge of human rights issues any kind, Jennifer would not have attended," Lopez's rep said in a statement.
HRF President Thor Halvorssen has another opinion about Lopez's lack-of-knowledge explanation. "What those covering this story have missed is that J.Lo and her management have misled her fans and the public," he said in a statement posted on the organization's website.
"J.Lo has repeatedly mingled with and entertained some of the world's worst thugs and their cronies. The 'Jenny-from-the-block-who-doesn't-Google' clarification may be credible in one instance, but it beggars belief in light of a pattern of repeated behavior," Halvorsen continued. "This is not about ignorance, it's about greed."
HRF then listed several events that involved Lopez and some "crooks and dictators from Eastern Europe and Russia." In 2011, for example, Lopez reportedly earned $1 million from corrupt Uzbek industrialist Azam Aslanov for performing at his son's wedding. In November 2012, Lopez was paid $2 million for singing "Happy Birthday" to Alexander Yolkin, a Russian bureaucrat who has been accused of corruption.
"The collective outrage that now follows Lopez's behavior is a categorical signal that it is not right to enjoy a free society, and then seek to profit from those who have acquired their riches from cronyism and the wholesale negation of human rights," Halvorssen said again.
"Performers are frequently blinded by greed and they willfully sidestep reality and become part of the public relations machinery of the world's worst people. They should be disqualified from having any moral standing to opine about matters involving human rights or business ethics," he added.
More Jennifer Lopez News
- Kanye West Robbed, Computers Stolen From His Studio
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Announces Big Reveal on May 31
- Dwayne Johnson Hints at Darker Hobbs in 'Fast and Furious 8' Image
- Paul Bettany Defends Johnny Depp Amid Amber Heard's Domestic Violence Accusations
- Khloe, Kourtney Kardashian, Tyga Celebrate Scott Disick's Birthday in Vegas
- Kate Beckinsale: Michael Bay Was Baffled Because 'My Boobs Weren't Bigger Than My Head'
- 'Maze Runner 3' Pushed Back to 2018 as Dylan O'Brien Is Still on the Mend After On-Set Accident
- PND Serenades Kylie Jenner After She Called Him Out for Deleting Her on Social Media