Randy Travis Is Awake After Stroke
Randy Travis' condition has improved after he underwent a surgery to relieve pressure on his brain following a stroke. His doctors shared information on the singer's condition in a taped interview which was posted on Monday, July 15.
According to his doctors, Travis' condition "has stabilized." Dr. Gary Erwin said that the "Forever and Ever, Amen" singer "is awake and alert, interacting with his family and friends and beginning to start doing some early physical therapy."
Cardiac surgeon Michael Mack explained that Travis "did suffer an acute viral illness over the past three weeks, but that seems to have tipped over a more chronic condition. He has what's called idiopathic cardiomyopathy, which means he has scarring of his heart muscle that is causing his heart to be weak and not able to support his circulation without help of either medical devices or medication." Travis' family history of cardiomyopathy contributed to his heart's condition.
Travis is currently breathing spontaneously with the help of ventilator, but his physicians hope that he can breathe without assistance soon. Travis will need to stay at The Heart Hospital of Baylor in Plano for another two or three weeks and receive intense physical therapy later. The doctors said that the stroke recovery could take up to months.
In the interview, Travis' fiancee Mary Davis thanked family members and friends for "the outpouring of love and affection that has shown up at the hospital and at home, and through several different avenues of support." According to Davis, Travis "is responding well to voices and he sees and he understands. He's miles beyond where any of us thought he would be a few days ago."
- Chris Klein Welcomes First Child With Wife, Shares First Photos of Cute Baby Boy
- 'American Horror Story' First Season 6 Teasers Are Creepy as Hell
- JoJo to Release New Album 'Mad Love' in October
- Ed Sheeran Sparks Wedding Rumors After Spotted With Ring on That Finger
- Jennifer Aniston Bares Her Boobs While Sunbathing in Italy
- A Version of Britney Spears' 'Make Me' Without G-Eazy Surfaces Online
- Jeffrey Dean Morgan on 'The Walking Dead' Season 7: It's Negan's World Now
- First Look at New Villain in 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Revealed