Randy Travis Is Awake After Stroke
Randy Travis' condition has improved after he underwent a surgery to relieve pressure on his brain following a stroke. His doctors shared information on the singer's condition in a taped interview which was posted on Monday, July 15.
According to his doctors, Travis' condition "has stabilized." Dr. Gary Erwin said that the "Forever and Ever, Amen" singer "is awake and alert, interacting with his family and friends and beginning to start doing some early physical therapy."
Cardiac surgeon Michael Mack explained that Travis "did suffer an acute viral illness over the past three weeks, but that seems to have tipped over a more chronic condition. He has what's called idiopathic cardiomyopathy, which means he has scarring of his heart muscle that is causing his heart to be weak and not able to support his circulation without help of either medical devices or medication." Travis' family history of cardiomyopathy contributed to his heart's condition.
Travis is currently breathing spontaneously with the help of ventilator, but his physicians hope that he can breathe without assistance soon. Travis will need to stay at The Heart Hospital of Baylor in Plano for another two or three weeks and receive intense physical therapy later. The doctors said that the stroke recovery could take up to months.
In the interview, Travis' fiancee Mary Davis thanked family members and friends for "the outpouring of love and affection that has shown up at the hospital and at home, and through several different avenues of support." According to Davis, Travis "is responding well to voices and he sees and he understands. He's miles beyond where any of us thought he would be a few days ago."
- Is Drake Expecting a Son?
- Ellen DeGeneres Punishes Audience Member for Stealing on the Show
- Report: Shin Min A Accompanies BF Kim Woo Bin Receiving Cancer Treatment
- Alexis Bledel Returns for 'The Handmaid's Tale' Season 2 as Series Regular
- Cheryl Signs Up for Private Boxing Sessions in an Attempt to Get Back Into Shape After Giving Birth
- Jake Gyllenhaal Loses His Legs in Boston Marathon Bombing in Intense Trailer for 'Stronger'
- 50 Cent Has the Hots for Helen Mirren Despite 30-Year Age Gap: 'She Turns Me On'
- Big Bang's G-Dragon Sparks Plastic Surgery Speculations