Randy Travis Is Awake After Stroke
Randy Travis' condition has improved after he underwent a surgery to relieve pressure on his brain following a stroke. His doctors shared information on the singer's condition in a taped interview which was posted on Monday, July 15.
According to his doctors, Travis' condition "has stabilized." Dr. Gary Erwin said that the "Forever and Ever, Amen" singer "is awake and alert, interacting with his family and friends and beginning to start doing some early physical therapy."
Cardiac surgeon Michael Mack explained that Travis "did suffer an acute viral illness over the past three weeks, but that seems to have tipped over a more chronic condition. He has what's called idiopathic cardiomyopathy, which means he has scarring of his heart muscle that is causing his heart to be weak and not able to support his circulation without help of either medical devices or medication." Travis' family history of cardiomyopathy contributed to his heart's condition.
Travis is currently breathing spontaneously with the help of ventilator, but his physicians hope that he can breathe without assistance soon. Travis will need to stay at The Heart Hospital of Baylor in Plano for another two or three weeks and receive intense physical therapy later. The doctors said that the stroke recovery could take up to months.
In the interview, Travis' fiancee Mary Davis thanked family members and friends for "the outpouring of love and affection that has shown up at the hospital and at home, and through several different avenues of support." According to Davis, Travis "is responding well to voices and he sees and he understands. He's miles beyond where any of us thought he would be a few days ago."
- 'Shield' Actor Michael Jace Convicted of Second-Degree Murder for Shooting His Wife
- First Look at Harry, Ginny and Albus in 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child'
- Mark Salling Fired From 'Gods and Secrets' After Indicted for Child Pornography
- Emilia Clarke Wants to Be the First Female James Bond With This Hunk as Her Bond 'Boy'
- Johnny Depp Wasn't Even Near Amber Heard When He Allegedly Hit Her, Witnesses Say
- Is Olivia Culpo Dating Danny Amendola? Here's the Proof
- Brad Pitt Reportedly Worries About 'Anorexic' and 'Fragile' Angelina Jolie
- Dan Aykroyd on Why 'Ghostbusters' Reboot Is Worth Watching: It Has More Laughs and More Scares