Jenny McCarthy's 'The View' Hiring Draws Snarky Comments on Twitter
"The View" has tapped Jenny McCarthy to take a vacant seat on the panel. The 40-year-old actress and author would join the show at the start of the new season on September 9 as a permanent co-host, Barbara Walters announced it on Monday, July 15.
"We are delighted that Jenny will be joining us as a permanent cohost on 'The View' starting in September," Walters said in a statement. "Jenny brings us intelligence as well as warmth and humor. She can be serious and outrageous. She has connected with our audience and offers a fresh point of view. Jenny will be a great addition to the show as we usher in an exciting new chapter for 'The View'."
McCarthy gushed about her new gig, "I'm beyond thrilled ... I look forward to helping make hot topics a little bit hotter, and showing my mom that my interrupting skills have finally paid off."
In contrary to the excitement expressed by Walters and McCarthy, some TV pundits took to Twitter to post snarky comments regarding to McCarthy's hiring, mostly due to her claim that a vaccination triggered her son's autism. James Poniewozik wrote, "Congrats ABC for hiring vaccine crank Jenny McCarthy for her 'outrageous... fresh POV,' bc actual medical science is so stale and dull."
" 'Congrats to Jenny McCarthy on The View! We're proud to have one of our best allies in such a prominent position.' - communicable disease," another Twitter user named Jon Lovett wrote in one of his posts, and added in another, "The View, Brought to You by the Measles, Mumps, and Rubella."
Kevin Lincoln tweeted, "In honor of Jenny McCarthy, The View's cast will spend their next episode interdicting donated vaccine shipments and lighting them on fire," and Julie Klausner posted, "Hmm. Child killers, child killers. Is John Wayne Gacy...? Not female. Susan Smith? Out of the demo. Ooh! Jenny McCarthy!" -The View casting."
The announcement of McCarthy's hiring came just a few days after Elisabeth Hasselbeck departed for "Fox & Friends". Joy Behar would also leave the ABC talk show at the end of this season, and Walters has planned to retire in summer 2014.
- Control Freak Angelina Jolie 'Keeps Tabs' on Brad Pitt: She Has Google Alert on His Name
- Kendall Jenner and A$AP Rocky Reignite Dating Speculations After Seen Shopping Together in NYC
- Drama 'Super Family' Is Under Fire for Using Jessica Jung's Name as a Deceased
- Orlando Bloom Spotted Having Dinner With Mysterious Brunette
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' New Season 3 Promo Shows How Brutal Survival Is
- Orlando Bloom Broke Noomi Rapace's Nose on 'Unlocked' Filming Set
- 'X-Men' TV Pilot 'Gifted' Reveals First Look at Stan Lee Cameo
- Travis Scott Dating Kylie Jenner Is Career Suicide, His Pals Think