Matthew Morrison Dedicates Song to Cory Monteith During NYC Show
As the news of actor Cory Monteith's death shocks Hollywood and the rest of the world, it undeniably affects most his family and his "Glee" co-stars like Matthew Morrison who plays his well-meaning music teacher Mr. Schuester on the hit TV series. Morrison gave an emotional rendition of the Broadway classic hit "What I Did for Love" during his 54 Below show in New York City on Sunday, July 14 which he dedicated to his late co-star who was found dead in his Vancouver hotel room the day before.
"We lost a great young man too soon," Morrison told the crowd before he was about to start the show, saying, "You came out to see a show, I came out to do one, so let's honor Cory with this performance." The 34-year-old multi-talented artist struggled to contain his emotion during his performance of the ballad from "The Chorus Line" but he showed professionalism and went on with the show.
The song holds significance for Morrison and the rest of the cast as Monteith's fiancee and co-star Lea Michele performed it on the season two premiere of "Glee" back in 2010. The lyrics "Love is never gone / As we travel on / Love's what we'll remember / Kiss today goodbye / And point me toward tomorrow / We did what we had to do / Won't forget, can't regret / What I did for love" is especially poignant now with the untimely death of one of their lead stars.
Morrison is said to be totally "beside himself" over the shocking death and so is Michele who is reportedly "devastated beyond belief." Monteith, a native of Canada who was in Vancouver visiting his mom, was pronounced dead on the scene in his Fairmont Pacific Hotel Room on July 13 with no suspicion of foul play.
- 'KUWTK' Returns for Another Season as 'Life of Kylie' Ends Up Being a Flop
- 'Downtown Abbey' Movie Is in the Works
- Rob Kardashian Is Lawyering Up Against Blac Chyna
- Angelina Jolie and Charlize Theron Are Feuding Over 'Bride of Frankenstein' Role
- Nick Jonas to Embrace 'Positivity' in His New Album
- 'Glee' Star Charice Pempengco Changes Name to Jake Zyrus. Is She Transitioning?
- Girls Lined Up to Give Tom Cruise Blow Job on Set of 'Risky Business', Co-Star Reveals
- Courtney Stodden Strips Down to Tiny Underwear to Perform Striptease