Matthew Morrison Dedicates Song to Cory Monteith During NYC Show
As the news of actor Cory Monteith's death shocks Hollywood and the rest of the world, it undeniably affects most his family and his "Glee" co-stars like Matthew Morrison who plays his well-meaning music teacher Mr. Schuester on the hit TV series. Morrison gave an emotional rendition of the Broadway classic hit "What I Did for Love" during his 54 Below show in New York City on Sunday, July 14 which he dedicated to his late co-star who was found dead in his Vancouver hotel room the day before.
"We lost a great young man too soon," Morrison told the crowd before he was about to start the show, saying, "You came out to see a show, I came out to do one, so let's honor Cory with this performance." The 34-year-old multi-talented artist struggled to contain his emotion during his performance of the ballad from "The Chorus Line" but he showed professionalism and went on with the show.
The song holds significance for Morrison and the rest of the cast as Monteith's fiancee and co-star Lea Michele performed it on the season two premiere of "Glee" back in 2010. The lyrics "Love is never gone / As we travel on / Love's what we'll remember / Kiss today goodbye / And point me toward tomorrow / We did what we had to do / Won't forget, can't regret / What I did for love" is especially poignant now with the untimely death of one of their lead stars.
Morrison is said to be totally "beside himself" over the shocking death and so is Michele who is reportedly "devastated beyond belief." Monteith, a native of Canada who was in Vancouver visiting his mom, was pronounced dead on the scene in his Fairmont Pacific Hotel Room on July 13 with no suspicion of foul play.
- Nicki Minaj Teases Music Video for David Guetta's 'Light My Body Up' With On-Set Photo
- Watch Little Mix's Dreamy Cover of Rihanna's 'Love on the Brain'
- 'Walking Dead' Alum Steven Yeun and Wife Joana Pak Share First Photo of Their Newborn Baby
- Mama June Feels 'Like Frankenstein' After Skin Removal Surgery. Is She Giving Up?
- Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani 'Torn Apart' by Her 'Flirtation' With 'The Voice' Contestant
- Katy Perry Reportedly Still Loves John Mayer. Will They Rekindle Their Romance?
- Trey Songz Slams Nicki Minaj: She Ain't Had S**t Before Me
- Han Solo Movie Adds 'Sing Street' Star Ian Kenny