Twin Sister's Singer Joins 'Veronica Mars' Movie to Replace Leighton Meester
Sad news for all "Veronica Mars" fans, Leighton Meester will not reprise her role as Carrie Bishop in the movie. On Sunday, series creator Rob Thomas revealed that he could not bring back Meester, whose character first appeared in the "Mars vs. Mars" episode of the UPN/CW series when she accused Neptune High teacher Mr. Rooks of having an affair with her, to the Kickstarter-funded project due to scheduling conflicts.
"Sadly, Leighton was doing a different movie during the same time frame on the wrong coast. In the end, she was unavailable," Thomas said to backers via e-mail. "One of the reasons I wanted Leighton, beyond her talent/beauty/history in the show, was that we needed a performer who could sing in this important role. Once it became evident that we couldn't make Leighton's schedule work, I decided to cast someone from a band I already wanted in the movie."
Andrea Estella is then announced as the new Carrie depicter. "This is the first movie I've ever appeared in," the Twin Sister singer said in a statement. "I had never seen 'Veronica Mars' before all of this. I've been increasingly interested in finding new TV shows to plow through. I watched the 'Veronica Mars' Pilot and was totally into it!"
"It's the exact kind of show I would get obsessed with, so it's been a bit of dream to be in a movie, especially being a messed up rock princess. How could I say no? I think the VM fans are going to be very happy!"
Currently underway, "Veronica Mars" has additionally cast Gaby Hoffman as new character Ruby Jetson. It will come to San Diego for a Comic-Con panel on Friday, July 19.
- 'Avengers' Helmer Joss Whedon to Direct, Write and Produce 'Batgirl'
- Beyonce Is Making $500K Nursery for Her Unborn Twins
- Mariah Carey Is Spending Too Much Money on Toyboy Bryan Tanaka
- Amber Rose Is Joining Secret Online Dating App
- 'Annabelle' Sequel Gets New Title
- Kim Kardashian Doesn't Want Her Daughter North West to Be Managed by Kris Jenner
- Anne Hathaway's Dress at 'Colossal' Premiere Is So Awkward She Couldn't Sit in It
- Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye May Appear in 'Ant-Man and the Wasp'