'Pacific Rim' Tanks as 'Despicable Me' and 'Grown Ups' Sequels Lead Box Office
Strong marketing buzz apparently cannot help "Pacific Rim" outshine two comedy sequels. After two weeks playing in theaters, "Despicable Me 2" is still going strong by taking in another $43.9 million for Universal Pictures. Meanwhile, "Grown Ups 2" which receives a "B" CinemaScore opens to $41.5 million in the second place.
Playing in 3275 theaters, "Pacific Rim" has a tough start. Awarded "A-" CinemaScore, the action-heavy flick from director Guillermo del Toro lands at No. 3 with $37.3 million. Still, del Toro has at least a reason to smile as the result is the highest debut ever for him ahead of 2008's "Hellboy II: The Golden Army" with $34.5 million.
Commenting on the big loss is Tim Briody of boxofficeprophets.com. "[Despite] a deluge of advertising in the past two weeks, 'Pacific Rim' seems to not have expanded its audiences past the people who were going to see this from the day it was initially revealed," he says.
In fourth place, "The Heat" drops 43.5% to $14 million. Trailing behind the buddy cop comedy starring Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy is Disney's "The Lone Ranger". The $215 million western film plunges to No. 5 right in its second run with a disappointing $11.5 million.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for July 12-14:
- "Despicable Me 2" - $43.9 million
- "Grown Ups 2" - $41.5 million
- "Pacific Rim" - $37.3 million
- "The Heat" - $14 million
- "The Lone Ranger" - $11.5 million
- "Monsters University" - $10.6 million
- "World War Z" - $9.3 million
- "White House Down" - $6.2 million
- "Kevin Hart: Let Me Explain" - $4.75 million
- "Man of Steel" - $4.71 million
More Pacific Rim News
- Oscar Accountants Issue an Apology Over Best Picture Blunder
- Halle Berry Rocks Big Curly Locks at the Academy Awards
- 'Batman v Superman', 'Hillary's America' Are Top Losers at Razzie Awards
- Nicole Kidman Passionately Kisses Keith Urban as He Naughtily Grabs Her Bum on Oscars' Red Carpet
- 'The Walking Dead' 7.12 Sneak Peeks: More Guns, More People, More Time
- President Donald Trump to Skip White House Correspondents' Dinner Following Tension With Press
- 'Cars 3' New Extended Teaser Introduces the Next Generation of Racers
- Lea Michele Gets Naked in Bed With a Guy Before Oscars