Idris Elba Says Inspiring Words in 'Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom' Teaser Trailer
"Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom" has unleashed a teaser trailer which features Idris Elba as the South African revolutionary and activist Nelson Mandela. The video, however, does not see Elba in close-up as it follows the star walking through a field from a bird's eye view, with six children seen accompanying him.
Even so, it offers a slight taste of Elba's performance as Mandela through a voiceover. "I have walked a long walk to freedom," the actor says in a convincing accent. "It has been a lonely road and it is not over yet. No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin. People learn to hate. They can be taught to love. For love comes more naturally to the human heart."
For preparing his role, Elba admits he's never met Mandela in person. "I never met Mr. Mandela because he was very ill, so our interpretation of him was without his personal influence," he said as cited by Daily Mail.
The "Pacific Rim" star added, "But the script is such a good script, and obviously it comes from his book, and the book speaks for itself."
Also starring Naomie Harris as Winnie Mandela, the pic will hit select theaters in the U.S. on November 29.
- Nathan Keyes to Play Justin Timberlake in Lifetime's Britney Spears Biopic
- Brad Pitt Voluntarily Tested for Drug and Alcohol Amid Child Abuse Allegation
- 'SNL' Finds Its New Donald Trump in Alec Baldwin After Taran Killam's Exit
- Madonna Shares Nude Pic as She Joins Katy Perry to Vote Naked
- The Weeknd Kills His Old Self in 'Starboy' Music Video
- Miley Cyrus Calls Out Disney, Says She Was Underpaid on 'Hannah Montana'
- Monsters and War Unleashed in New 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' Trailer
- Video: Kim Kardashian Ambushed by Gigi Hadid's Attacker in Paris