Aretha Franklin Cancels Detroit Show Due to Ongoing Treatment
Citing her ongoing treatment as the reason, legendary diva Aretha Franklin has canceled her forthcoming show in her hometown of Detroit on July 27 at the DTE Energy Music Theatre. The 71-year-old singer has finally decided to call off the performance after first postponing it from its original schedule of June 22.
The Queen of Soul made the disappointing announcement Friday in a letter distributed by her publicist, saying she was canceling the show "one last time." Prior to this gig, the Grammy Award-winning artist had also called off her Chicago and Connecticut shows back in May under her doctors' recommendation for her to undergo treatment for an undisclosed condition.
Thankfully, the jazz/gospel songstress' special corporate fundraising event with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra pushed through with R'n'B/soul singer Janelle Monae filling in for her. Despite her health condition, Franklin mustered enough strength to perform in the "American Idol" finale with the Top 5 girls via a video patch from New York for a medley of her classic hits "Respect", "Natural Woman" and "Think".
And even if she has been forced to cancel her live performances, the "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman" singer is still apparently working on a new album with famed record producer Clive Davis, with such artists as R'n'B crooner Babyface and musician Danger Mouse said to be joining the project.
- New 'Marvel's The Defenders' Trailer Includes First Look at 'The Punisher'
- Kanye West Plans to Respond to Jay-Z's Diss on '4:44' on New Album
- Jigsaw Is Back to Claim New Victims in Gruesome First Trailer
- 'The Affair': Ruth Wilson's Body Double Sues Showtime After Fired for Reporting Sexual Harassment
- Tyga Says He Warned Rob Kardashian About Blac Chyna's Game
- Lily Collins Locks Lips With High School Classmate During Romantic Italy Vacation
- 'Game of Thrones' Creators Defend 'Confederate' After Backlash Over Slavery Theme
- Kim Kardashian Is Basically Topless in Her Ripped Netted Outfit