Aretha Franklin Cancels Detroit Show Due to Ongoing Treatment
Citing her ongoing treatment as the reason, legendary diva Aretha Franklin has canceled her forthcoming show in her hometown of Detroit on July 27 at the DTE Energy Music Theatre. The 71-year-old singer has finally decided to call off the performance after first postponing it from its original schedule of June 22.
The Queen of Soul made the disappointing announcement Friday in a letter distributed by her publicist, saying she was canceling the show "one last time." Prior to this gig, the Grammy Award-winning artist had also called off her Chicago and Connecticut shows back in May under her doctors' recommendation for her to undergo treatment for an undisclosed condition.
Thankfully, the jazz/gospel songstress' special corporate fundraising event with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra pushed through with R'n'B/soul singer Janelle Monae filling in for her. Despite her health condition, Franklin mustered enough strength to perform in the "American Idol" finale with the Top 5 girls via a video patch from New York for a medley of her classic hits "Respect", "Natural Woman" and "Think".
And even if she has been forced to cancel her live performances, the "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman" singer is still apparently working on a new album with famed record producer Clive Davis, with such artists as R'n'B crooner Babyface and musician Danger Mouse said to be joining the project.
- Ariana Grande Debuts New Hairdo Amid Reports She Was Barred From Performing at White House
- 'High School Musical' Alum Corbin Bleu Gets Married to Sasha Clements. Get the Details
- 'Star Trek Beyond' Easily Wins at Box Office
- Lindsay Lohan Fights With Fiance Egor Tarabasov After Accusing Him of Cheating on Social Media
- Comic-Con: 'Prison Break' Revival Debuts New Trailer and Clip
- Liv Tyler Shares Adorable Breastfeeding Photo With Her Newborn
- Calvin Harris and Kim Kardashian Party Together Amid Taylor Swift Feud
- Drake's New Mixtape Is on the Way as 'Views' Tops Billboard 200 for 11th Week