Randy Travis Suffers Stroke at Hospital, Undergoes Surgery
Randy Travis suffered stroke and underwent a surgery to relieve pressure on his brain on Wednesday evening, July 10, his publicist Kirt Webster said. Webster added that the stroke was the result of "a complication of his congestive heart failure."
"He is in critical condition. We will have updates as they become available. His family and friends here with him at the hospital request your prayers and support," Webster said, as quoted by CNN. The statement was released just hours after Travis' doctors announced that he was "stabilized and he has shown signs of improvement."
Travis was admitted to Baylor Medical Center at McKinney, Texas, on Sunday with viral cardiomyopathy, a condition in which the heart's muscle weakens. In some cases, it can lead to heart failure.
On Monday, the "I Told You So" singer was transferred to The Heart Hospital at Baylor Plano in Texas. The 54-year-old singer "underwent the placement of an Impella peripheral left ventricular assist device for stabilization prior to transferring hospitals."
Travis' sister-in-law Teresa Trawick told PEOPLE that the singer's family had a history with heart disease. "[His mother] passed away at an early age with her heart, so it is like these boys are following right in their footsteps," Trawick said.
Celebrities sent well wishes after learning of Travis' critical condition. Carrie Underwood, who sang with him in Grammy-winning single "I Told You So", wrote on Twitter, "Thinking about my friend, @randytravis, tonight. Hope he gets better soon." Keith Urban tweeted, "Sending healing strength and love to you this morning @randytravis - KU."
- Megan Fox Steps Out for First Time Since Giving Birth to Her Third Child
- Amber Rose Says Julianne Hough Body Shamed Her With Her 'DWTS' Comment
- 'Wonder Woman' Writer Confirms Diana Prince Is 'Obviously' Bisexual
- Tyga May Have His Mom's Car Repossessed
- Get First Look at 'Outlander' Season 3
- Benedict Cumberbatch May Confirm Doctor Strange's Appearance in 'Thor: Ragnarok'
- Donald Trump Once Body-Shamed Kim Kardashian Too. This Is What He Said About Her
- Lena Dunham and Allison Williams Tearfully Say Goodbye to 'Girls' as Filming Wraps