Randy Travis Suffers Stroke at Hospital, Undergoes Surgery
Randy Travis suffered stroke and underwent a surgery to relieve pressure on his brain on Wednesday evening, July 10, his publicist Kirt Webster said. Webster added that the stroke was the result of "a complication of his congestive heart failure."
"He is in critical condition. We will have updates as they become available. His family and friends here with him at the hospital request your prayers and support," Webster said, as quoted by CNN. The statement was released just hours after Travis' doctors announced that he was "stabilized and he has shown signs of improvement."
Travis was admitted to Baylor Medical Center at McKinney, Texas, on Sunday with viral cardiomyopathy, a condition in which the heart's muscle weakens. In some cases, it can lead to heart failure.
On Monday, the "I Told You So" singer was transferred to The Heart Hospital at Baylor Plano in Texas. The 54-year-old singer "underwent the placement of an Impella peripheral left ventricular assist device for stabilization prior to transferring hospitals."
Travis' sister-in-law Teresa Trawick told PEOPLE that the singer's family had a history with heart disease. "[His mother] passed away at an early age with her heart, so it is like these boys are following right in their footsteps," Trawick said.
Celebrities sent well wishes after learning of Travis' critical condition. Carrie Underwood, who sang with him in Grammy-winning single "I Told You So", wrote on Twitter, "Thinking about my friend, @randytravis, tonight. Hope he gets better soon." Keith Urban tweeted, "Sending healing strength and love to you this morning @randytravis - KU."
- Seth Rogen and Billy Eichner Join Live-Action 'Lion King'
- Report: Blake Shelon Is Hiding Shameful Family Secrets From Gwen Stefani
- Kim Kardashian Hits Back at Haters Over Her Unretouched Bikini Photos
- Are J.Lo and Alex Rodriguez Readying New Show Together?
- La La Vazquez Parties at NYC Strip Club After Ditching Kim Kardashian's Mexican Getaway
- Paris Jackson Flashes Nipples as She Goes Braless in Skimpy Outfit
- La La Vazquez Is Too Heartbroken to Join Kim Kardashian's Vacation in Mexico
- Harry Styles Makes a Mysterious Response to His Han Solo Casting Rumors