'The Canyons' Director Compares Lindsay Lohan's Talent to Marilyn Monroe's
Director Paul Schrader still has faith in Lindsay Lohan. In Film Comment magazine, the director shares a story of working with the troubled actress. Paul, who worked with Lindsay in "The Canyons", describes his time with Lindsay with words "tardiness, tantrums, absences, neediness, psychodrama."
The director of her soon-to-be-released movie, however, explains that Lindsay "feels she must be experiencing an emotion in order to play it. This leads to all sorts of emotional turmoil, not to mention on-set delays and melodrama. It also leads, when the gods smile, to movie magic."
He adds that Lindsay is similar to Marilyn Monroe in some ways. "Monroe and Lohan exist in the space between actors and celebrities. People whose professional and personal performances are more or less indistinguishable. We call them 'troubled,' 'tormented,' 'train wrecks,' but we can't turn away. We can't stop watching. They get under our skin in a way that controlled performers can't," Paul explains further.
"I think Lohan has more natural talent than Monroe did, but like Monroe, her weakness is her inability to fake it," he concluded, adding that the result of their collaboration is worth the chaos she caused on filming set. "All the drama, the mishegas, all the stress, that means little. A director can shoot around misbehavior. He can't shoot around lack of charisma. I just wish it was easier for Lindsay," he said.
The world premiere of "The Canyons" will take place at the Film Society of Lincoln Center in New York on July 20. The new flick will hit U.S. theaters on August 2. Lindsay plays alongside James Deen, Gus Van Sant, Amanda Brooks and Nolan Gerard Funk in the thriller movie.
More Lindsay Lohan News
- Find Out What Ji Chang Wook Wants to Achieve Before Military Enlistment
- Backstreet Boys to Reunite With Florida Georgia Line for 'CMT Crossroads'
- Justin Bieber: Out-of-Work Crew Are Not My Responsibility
- Shia LaBeouf and Mia Goth Are on the Verge of Divorce
- Does Kim Know? Kanye West Caught Leaving Studio With Nearly Naked Woman
- Six Shortest Celebrity Marriages
- Dating for Nine Months, Drew Barrymore Is Set to Wed for the Fourth Time
- So Cool! Watch Lee Joon Gi Do His Own Dangerous Stunt for 'Criminal Minds'