'The Canyons' Director Compares Lindsay Lohan's Talent to Marilyn Monroe's
Director Paul Schrader still has faith in Lindsay Lohan. In Film Comment magazine, the director shares a story of working with the troubled actress. Paul, who worked with Lindsay in "The Canyons", describes his time with Lindsay with words "tardiness, tantrums, absences, neediness, psychodrama."
The director of her soon-to-be-released movie, however, explains that Lindsay "feels she must be experiencing an emotion in order to play it. This leads to all sorts of emotional turmoil, not to mention on-set delays and melodrama. It also leads, when the gods smile, to movie magic."
He adds that Lindsay is similar to Marilyn Monroe in some ways. "Monroe and Lohan exist in the space between actors and celebrities. People whose professional and personal performances are more or less indistinguishable. We call them 'troubled,' 'tormented,' 'train wrecks,' but we can't turn away. We can't stop watching. They get under our skin in a way that controlled performers can't," Paul explains further.
"I think Lohan has more natural talent than Monroe did, but like Monroe, her weakness is her inability to fake it," he concluded, adding that the result of their collaboration is worth the chaos she caused on filming set. "All the drama, the mishegas, all the stress, that means little. A director can shoot around misbehavior. He can't shoot around lack of charisma. I just wish it was easier for Lindsay," he said.
The world premiere of "The Canyons" will take place at the Film Society of Lincoln Center in New York on July 20. The new flick will hit U.S. theaters on August 2. Lindsay plays alongside James Deen, Gus Van Sant, Amanda Brooks and Nolan Gerard Funk in the thriller movie.
More Lindsay Lohan News
- Drake Reportedly Has 'Weed Overdose'
- Kanye West 'Would Love to Have More Kids' With Kim Kardashian
- Justin Bieber Facing Arrest in Brazil Over Graffiti Case
- Peter Parker Wants to Be Like Iron Man in New 'Spider-Man Homecoming' Trailer
- Kris Jenner and Corey Gamble Break Up
- Cuba Gooding Jr. Generates Online Outrage After Lifting Up Sarah Paulson's Skirt at PaleyFest
- New Footage of 'Blade Runner 2049' Is Screened at CinemaCon
- Nina Agdal Flaunts Her Enviable Figure in Skimpy Bikinis for New Swimwear Campaign