'The Canyons' Director Compares Lindsay Lohan's Talent to Marilyn Monroe's
Director Paul Schrader still has faith in Lindsay Lohan. In Film Comment magazine, the director shares a story of working with the troubled actress. Paul, who worked with Lindsay in "The Canyons", describes his time with Lindsay with words "tardiness, tantrums, absences, neediness, psychodrama."
The director of her soon-to-be-released movie, however, explains that Lindsay "feels she must be experiencing an emotion in order to play it. This leads to all sorts of emotional turmoil, not to mention on-set delays and melodrama. It also leads, when the gods smile, to movie magic."
He adds that Lindsay is similar to Marilyn Monroe in some ways. "Monroe and Lohan exist in the space between actors and celebrities. People whose professional and personal performances are more or less indistinguishable. We call them 'troubled,' 'tormented,' 'train wrecks,' but we can't turn away. We can't stop watching. They get under our skin in a way that controlled performers can't," Paul explains further.
"I think Lohan has more natural talent than Monroe did, but like Monroe, her weakness is her inability to fake it," he concluded, adding that the result of their collaboration is worth the chaos she caused on filming set. "All the drama, the mishegas, all the stress, that means little. A director can shoot around misbehavior. He can't shoot around lack of charisma. I just wish it was easier for Lindsay," he said.
The world premiere of "The Canyons" will take place at the Film Society of Lincoln Center in New York on July 20. The new flick will hit U.S. theaters on August 2. Lindsay plays alongside James Deen, Gus Van Sant, Amanda Brooks and Nolan Gerard Funk in the thriller movie.
More Lindsay Lohan News
- Bella Hadid Flaunts Ample Cleavage in Racy Bikini. See the Pic!
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Cradle Chrissy Teigen and John Legend's Baby During Brunch
- Jeff Bridges Joins 'Kingsman: The Golden Circle'
- Demi Lovato Mourning Her Great-Grandma's Death. Read Her Touching Tribute
- Rob Kardashian and Blac Chyna Party in Las Vegas, Talk About Wedding Plans
- Stephen Amell and Will Arnett Joke About Making an 'Arrow' Feature Film
- Liam Hemsworth Admits His 2013 Split From Miley Cyrus 'Was Hard'
- Madonna Throws Shade at BET for Diss Over Her BBMA Tribute to Prince