Sting to Play a Series of Concerts to Benefit New York Arts Organization
Sting will perform ten concerts in New York City's Public Theater this fall. The concerts, which are expected to raise money to support the nonprofit theater, will house a crowd of 260 people per show in the Anspracher Theater.
At the concerts that will run from September 25 to October 9, Sting will sing the tracks from his upcoming album, "The Last Ship". Set to arrive on September 24, the album is his first full-length LP of new material since 2003's "Sacred Love". The new album is inspired by Sting's Broadway musical of the same title, which is set to premiere next year.
Directed by Joe Mantello, "The Last Ship" is set in a shipyard in Sting's hometown of Wallsend, England, and telling a story about the declining shipbuilding industry in the 1980s. Sting teams up with writers John Logan ("Skyfall") and Brian Yorkey ("Next to Normal") for the musical he's been working on for nearly three years.
" 'The Last Ship' is shaping up to be a masterpiece, both an elegy for and a celebration of the working-class life of the Newcastle shipyards," said Oskar Eustis, artistic director of The Public Theater.
Tickets for Sting's concerts range in price from $250 to $2,500. A limited number of free seats will be given away to lucky fans through a lottery. Sting will also host a special concert to celebrate his 62th birthday on October 2 with a surprise number of tickets going to the singer's fan club members.
- The Great War Is Coming in First Trailer for 'Game of Thrones' Season 7
- First Look at Benicio Del Toro and Laura Dern, Captain Phasma Unmasked in 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi'
- Beware Angelina Jolie! Brad Pitt Is Ready to Publish a Tell-All
- Kelly Clarkson and Jennifer Hudson Are Fighting Over 'The Voice' Gig
- Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon Are Planning to Remarry This Summer
- Fans Are Begging Justin Bieber to Cancel His Upcoming U.K. Concerts
- Beyonce's Security Team Conducting Trial Runs for Her Delivery
- AOA's Choa Wipes Her Instagram Account Clean Following Dating Rumors