Opera Singer Placido Domingo Hospitalized in Spain With Blood Clot
Placido Domingo is suffering a blockage in an artery of the lungs. The opera singer, 72, was hospitalized in Spain while he was in the country to perform in Daniel Catan's "Il Postino". Due to the unforeseen circumstance, he was forced to cancel his appearance.
Doctors diagnosed the condition as a pulmonary embolism caused by a blood clot and recommended Domingo to take a rest for three to four weeks. His publicist Nancy Seltzer said the general manager of L.A. Opera was surrounded by his family in Madrid.
"He is expected to fully recover," Seltzer said in a statement. "[But] his exact return to his performing engagements remains subject to how fast he can heal and regain his characteristic strength."
In addition to canceling his gig at the Teatro Real in Madrid which was originally scheduled for July 17, Placido has axed all five of his scheduled "Il Postino" performances including the scheduled one at Madrid's Plaza Mayor on July 21.
After the news broke out, friends and colleagues at L.A. Opera wished him a speedy recovery through the company's statement, "All of us at L.A. Opera wish Maestro Domingo a full and speedy recovery. Our thoughts are with him and his family at this time."
It's Domingo's second bout with serious medical condition in the last three years. He underwent surgery for colon cancer in 2010 and managed to get back on stage just 45 days after having the procedure.
- Comic-Con: 'Game of Thrones' Teases Season 7 With Production Video
- 'Kong: Skull Island' Poster Reveals First Look at the Beastly King
- Amber Rose Defends Kanye West Amid Taylor Swift Feud, but Begs Him to 'Stay out of the News'
- Comic-Con: Check Out 'The Walking Dead' Season 7 and 'Fear the Walking Dead' Season 2B Trailers
- 'The Bachelor' Star Chris Soules' Ex Whitney Bischoff Is Engaged Again
- Comic-Con: 'Scream Queens' Stars Share Details of Season 2, Colton Haynes' Cast in Mystery Role
- Dakota Johnson Channels 'Fifty Shades' Character in This Provocative Photo
- Celine Dion Slays Her Impressions of Rihanna, Cher and Sia on 'Tonight Show'