Dev Patel May Star in Sci-Fi Movie 'Chappie' for Neill Blomkamp
Neill Blomkamp is eyeing Dev Patel for his next project. The Hollywood Reporter learns that the Jamal Malik depicter in Danny Boyle's "Slumdog Millionaire" is in talks to take a leading role in "Chappie", the sci-fi feature which is based on Blomkamp's short movie "Tetra Vaal" about a robot police force patrolling the slums of South Africa.
British actor Patel is expected to take on the role of a young man in the impoverished town. If all deals are sealed, the Prince Zuko of M. Night Shyamalan's "The Last Airbender" will team up with "The A-Team" actor Sharlto Copley who is on board the Media Rights Capital production to play the police robot.
Produced by Simon Kinberg, the movie marks the third time Blomkamp joins forces with Copley following "District 9" and upcoming "Elysium". The South African-Canadian filmmaker also works on the script alongside his wife and Oscar-nominated scribe Terri Tatchell.
As of now, no start date has been set yet.
Patel previously starred in Stephen Elliott's "About Cherry", in which the 23-year-old actor played Andrew. He will return for the second season of HBO's "The Newsroom", which is slated to be premiered on July 14.
Neill Blomkamp's "Tetra Vaal" :
- Kylie Jenner Teases Her Secret Project in Seductive Instagram Photos
- 'Game of Thrones' Season 8 Could Have More Than Six Episodes
- Alec Baldwin, Mark Ruffalo and Michael Moore Stage a Star-Studded Anti-Trump Protest in NYC
- 'Good Behavior' Gets Season 2 Renewal
- Hailee Steinfeld Confirms Her Return for 'Pitch Perfect 3'
- Jenna Dewan Having 'Big Fight' With Channing Tatum Over Her Nude Photo
- Katy Perry Goes Blonde as She Throws Surprise Birthday Bash for Orlando Bloom
- Ariana Grande Flaunts Her Slender Body in Pics to Tease Her Upcoming Tour