Dev Patel May Star in Sci-Fi Movie 'Chappie' for Neill Blomkamp
Neill Blomkamp is eyeing Dev Patel for his next project. The Hollywood Reporter learns that the Jamal Malik depicter in Danny Boyle's "Slumdog Millionaire" is in talks to take a leading role in "Chappie", the sci-fi feature which is based on Blomkamp's short movie "Tetra Vaal" about a robot police force patrolling the slums of South Africa.
British actor Patel is expected to take on the role of a young man in the impoverished town. If all deals are sealed, the Prince Zuko of M. Night Shyamalan's "The Last Airbender" will team up with "The A-Team" actor Sharlto Copley who is on board the Media Rights Capital production to play the police robot.
Produced by Simon Kinberg, the movie marks the third time Blomkamp joins forces with Copley following "District 9" and upcoming "Elysium". The South African-Canadian filmmaker also works on the script alongside his wife and Oscar-nominated scribe Terri Tatchell.
As of now, no start date has been set yet.
Patel previously starred in Stephen Elliott's "About Cherry", in which the 23-year-old actor played Andrew. He will return for the second season of HBO's "The Newsroom", which is slated to be premiered on July 14.
Neill Blomkamp's "Tetra Vaal" :
- Kylie Jenner Wraps Her Body With Real Snake in Sneak Peek of Sexy 2017 Calendar
- Lady GaGa Shares Kindness With the Help of Taylor Kinney and Her Mom
- Shia LaBeouf Unleashes New Freestyle in Response to Soulja Boy's Threats
- Nicki Minaj Gets Heavily Criticized for Making Fun of Mentally Ill Woman
- 'The Mummy' Director on Whether Tom Cruise's Character Dies in the First Trailer
- 'Westworld' Showrunners Address Evil Dolores and Ford's Fate
- Justin Bieber Announces 2017 U.S. Stadium Tour Dates
- Blac Chyna Seems to Diss Kylie Jenner and Tyga on Snapchat. Is This Khloe's Response?