Dev Patel May Star in Sci-Fi Movie 'Chappie' for Neill Blomkamp
Neill Blomkamp is eyeing Dev Patel for his next project. The Hollywood Reporter learns that the Jamal Malik depicter in Danny Boyle's "Slumdog Millionaire" is in talks to take a leading role in "Chappie", the sci-fi feature which is based on Blomkamp's short movie "Tetra Vaal" about a robot police force patrolling the slums of South Africa.
British actor Patel is expected to take on the role of a young man in the impoverished town. If all deals are sealed, the Prince Zuko of M. Night Shyamalan's "The Last Airbender" will team up with "The A-Team" actor Sharlto Copley who is on board the Media Rights Capital production to play the police robot.
Produced by Simon Kinberg, the movie marks the third time Blomkamp joins forces with Copley following "District 9" and upcoming "Elysium". The South African-Canadian filmmaker also works on the script alongside his wife and Oscar-nominated scribe Terri Tatchell.
As of now, no start date has been set yet.
Patel previously starred in Stephen Elliott's "About Cherry", in which the 23-year-old actor played Andrew. He will return for the second season of HBO's "The Newsroom", which is slated to be premiered on July 14.
Neill Blomkamp's "Tetra Vaal" :
- Kristin Cavallari Will Not Watch 'The Hills' Re-Runs Because It's 'Brutal'
- Kirsten Storms Breaks Silence on Her Temporary 'General Hospital' Leave
- Jesse Eisenberg Confirms He Will Return for 'Justice League'
- Sam Mendes Confirms He Won't Direct the Next James Bond Movie
- Keira Knightley's Acting in 'Begin Again' Gets Criticized by Director
- Gwen Stefani and Blake Shelton Take Her Birthday Son to Indianapolis 500
- Ariana Grande Cancels Rock in Rio Performance Due to Throat and Sinus Infection
- Johnny Depp's Ex Vanessa Paradis and Daughter Lily-Rose Defend Him Amid Amber Heard Drama