Jon Bon Jovi Donates $1 Million to Hurricane Sandy Relief Fund
Jon Bon Jovi generously gave $1 million to the Hurricane Sandy New Jersey Relief Fund to help people who are still suffering from hurricane Sandy's effects. The rocker appeared before the crowd in his hometown of Sayreville on Monday, July 8, to announce his donation alongside New Jersey Governor Chris Christie. The money will be used to repair or build houses.
"My being here is not political, it's emotional because I grew up here," Jon told hundreds of people who gathered outside borough hall, as quoted by the Associated Press. The 51-year-old rocker recalled when he toured around the area after the deadly storm, he was wondering how he could help the survivors. He said that the city's resident told him, "Use your voice. Let people know that we are suffering."
"I know that this million dollars sounds like a lot, but it is really just a drop in the bucket and I know there are people still suffering. But what I like to call the power of we coming together - that means you, me, us - we are taking a step today to rebuild lives," he added.
Governor Christie thanked Jon for the donation and commented that "despite all the enormous success and fame that Jon and his family have earned over the course of his career, they have never forgotten where they come from." He added that Sayreville residents "are among the toughest, grittiest people that this state has to offer. I love Sayreville."
The Hurricane Sandy New Jersey Relief Fund has collected $38 million of donation. Per April 30, the fund, which is chaired by Governor Christie's wife Mary Pat Christie, donated $10.5 million. Jon, as well as Bruce Springsteen and TV personality Kelly Ripa, are honorary advisory board members of the charity.
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video
- James Marsden Is Under Consideration to Join 'Green Lantern Corps' as Hal Jordan
- Blake Lively 'Livid' Over Ryan Reynolds' Possible Reunion With Ex-Wife Scarlett Johansson
- The Weeknd Reunites With Selena Gomez at a Club After Running Into Ex Bella Hadid
- 'The Lost City of Z' Gets New International Trailer
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role
- Future Enjoys Lavish Getaway in Dubai in New Video for 'Poppin' Tags'
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie