Jon Bon Jovi Donates $1 Million to Hurricane Sandy Relief Fund
Jon Bon Jovi generously gave $1 million to the Hurricane Sandy New Jersey Relief Fund to help people who are still suffering from hurricane Sandy's effects. The rocker appeared before the crowd in his hometown of Sayreville on Monday, July 8, to announce his donation alongside New Jersey Governor Chris Christie. The money will be used to repair or build houses.
"My being here is not political, it's emotional because I grew up here," Jon told hundreds of people who gathered outside borough hall, as quoted by the Associated Press. The 51-year-old rocker recalled when he toured around the area after the deadly storm, he was wondering how he could help the survivors. He said that the city's resident told him, "Use your voice. Let people know that we are suffering."
"I know that this million dollars sounds like a lot, but it is really just a drop in the bucket and I know there are people still suffering. But what I like to call the power of we coming together - that means you, me, us - we are taking a step today to rebuild lives," he added.
Governor Christie thanked Jon for the donation and commented that "despite all the enormous success and fame that Jon and his family have earned over the course of his career, they have never forgotten where they come from." He added that Sayreville residents "are among the toughest, grittiest people that this state has to offer. I love Sayreville."
The Hurricane Sandy New Jersey Relief Fund has collected $38 million of donation. Per April 30, the fund, which is chaired by Governor Christie's wife Mary Pat Christie, donated $10.5 million. Jon, as well as Bruce Springsteen and TV personality Kelly Ripa, are honorary advisory board members of the charity.
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival