Lance Armstrong Set to Race Anew Since Doping Scandal
One would think that after the doping scandal he confessed to in an interview with Oprah Winfrey back in January, that Lance Armstrong would never race again. But the 41-year-old athlete, despite his destroyed credibility, has surprisingly announced that he will join The Des Moines Register newspaper's Great Bicycle Ride across Iowa cycling event this July.
Armstrong says about his brave move just months after the controversy that rocked the sport of cycling, "To be honest it's not a statement, it's not an experiment." The professional road racer said, "It's just me wanting to go ride my bike with what in the past has been a friendly group of people that share the same interests."
The iconic cyclist and cancer survivor is unfazed about the impending criticism that he'll surely run into once he gets on the road again for the first time after the big scandal. "I'm well aware my presence is not an easy topic, and so I encourage people if they want to give a high-five, great. If you want to shoot me the bird, that's OK too...I'm a big boy, and so I made the bed, I get to sleep in it."
Armstrong is bent on moving forward and rebuilding himself after he was stripped of his 7 consecutive Tour de France titles and dropped by his sponsors. "[I'm] just a dude like everybody who likes to ride bikes and likes to drink beer and has made his fair share of mistakes -- and that's that," said the once admired and well-loved celebrity athlete.
- Kourtney Kardashian's Looking for 'More Loyal Soulmate' as She's 'So Over' Scott Disick
- Is Meghan Markle Planning to Get Pregnant Before Marrying Prince Harry?
- Hailee Steinfeld, Kelsea Ballerini and Sofia Carson to Perform Britney Spears Medley at RDMA 2017
- Nam Joo Hyuk's Fans Angered by His Relationship With Lee Sung Kyung
- 'Supergirl': Get First Look at General Zod in Set Photos and Video
- Desperate Tyga to Use Son King Cairo to Get Back With Kylie Jenner
- Beyonce's Pic of Ordering Food Sparks Funny Twitter Reactions
- 'Cars 3' New Trailer Sees Lightning McQueen's Emotional Crisis