Lance Armstrong Set to Race Anew Since Doping Scandal
One would think that after the doping scandal he confessed to in an interview with Oprah Winfrey back in January, that Lance Armstrong would never race again. But the 41-year-old athlete, despite his destroyed credibility, has surprisingly announced that he will join The Des Moines Register newspaper's Great Bicycle Ride across Iowa cycling event this July.
Armstrong says about his brave move just months after the controversy that rocked the sport of cycling, "To be honest it's not a statement, it's not an experiment." The professional road racer said, "It's just me wanting to go ride my bike with what in the past has been a friendly group of people that share the same interests."
The iconic cyclist and cancer survivor is unfazed about the impending criticism that he'll surely run into once he gets on the road again for the first time after the big scandal. "I'm well aware my presence is not an easy topic, and so I encourage people if they want to give a high-five, great. If you want to shoot me the bird, that's OK too...I'm a big boy, and so I made the bed, I get to sleep in it."
Armstrong is bent on moving forward and rebuilding himself after he was stripped of his 7 consecutive Tour de France titles and dropped by his sponsors. "[I'm] just a dude like everybody who likes to ride bikes and likes to drink beer and has made his fair share of mistakes -- and that's that," said the once admired and well-loved celebrity athlete.
- Pixar's Video Reveals Mind-Blowing Hidden Easter Eggs Throughout Their Movies
- Olivia Munn Reportedly Causes a Rift in Aaron Rodgers' Family
- Watch Fifth Harmony and Blake Shelton's Performances at 2017 People's Choice Awards
- Taryn Manning Is Not Leaving 'Orange Is the New Black', Despite Report
- Zayn Malik Shows Off New 'Love' Tattoo Amid Gigi Hadid Engagement Rumors
- Jennifer Lopez Spotted Cozying Up to Drake on Another Date
- Is Jared Leto Returning as Joker in New DC Movie?
- Listen to Big Sean's New Moody Track 'Halfway Off the Balcony'