Lance Armstrong Set to Race Anew Since Doping Scandal
One would think that after the doping scandal he confessed to in an interview with Oprah Winfrey back in January, that Lance Armstrong would never race again. But the 41-year-old athlete, despite his destroyed credibility, has surprisingly announced that he will join The Des Moines Register newspaper's Great Bicycle Ride across Iowa cycling event this July.
Armstrong says about his brave move just months after the controversy that rocked the sport of cycling, "To be honest it's not a statement, it's not an experiment." The professional road racer said, "It's just me wanting to go ride my bike with what in the past has been a friendly group of people that share the same interests."
The iconic cyclist and cancer survivor is unfazed about the impending criticism that he'll surely run into once he gets on the road again for the first time after the big scandal. "I'm well aware my presence is not an easy topic, and so I encourage people if they want to give a high-five, great. If you want to shoot me the bird, that's OK too...I'm a big boy, and so I made the bed, I get to sleep in it."
Armstrong is bent on moving forward and rebuilding himself after he was stripped of his 7 consecutive Tour de France titles and dropped by his sponsors. "[I'm] just a dude like everybody who likes to ride bikes and likes to drink beer and has made his fair share of mistakes -- and that's that," said the once admired and well-loved celebrity athlete.
- 'Game of Thrones' Set to End With Season 8, Spin-Off Plan Confirmed
- Morgan Freeman Eyed to Join Disney's New 'Nutcracker' Film
- Get Your First Look at Tyler Hoechlin as Clark Kent on 'Supergirl'
- Taika Waititi Hints at Thanos' Connection to 'Thor: Ragnarok' in New Photo
- Lindsey Vonn Accidentally Flashes Underwear on the Red Carpet
- Rihanna Swarmed by Her Fans in 'Goodnight Gotham' Music Video
- Tony Parker Welcomes Second Child With Wife Axelle Francine
- Candice Swanepoel Bares Baby Bump While Posing Completely Naked in This Photo