Usher's Macy's Fireworks Playlist Draws Criticism
Grammy Award-winning performer Usher got everybody excited when it was announced back in May that he would be the first ever artist to curate Macy's 4th of July fireworks display in New York City. But after the fireworks show was finally mounted, the excitement immediately turned to criticism after the 34-year-old entertainer decided to include four of his own song in the playlist.
Twitter account users did not even wait until the show was over to voice out their sentiments on the social networking site, calling Usher's move to feature more than one of his songs in the annual spectacle a "selfish and self-centered" act, wrote one fan. One guy even tweeted, "How much $ did usher pay to get every song he ever recorded played in the NYCity firework mix tape."
Although it had previously been made known that the playlist for the fireworks display would include Usher's own hits, apparently putting in four songs was a bit too much for the taste of the viewers. Those four hit songs were "Euphoria", "Yeah!", "OMG" and David Guetta's "Without You" featuring his vocals.
Despite the backlash, Macy's thought Usher did a pretty amazing job as curator, saying through a rep, "We are very proud of our collaboration with Usher for Macy's 4th of July Fireworks, and we have heard great feedback on all elements of last night's (Thursday's) amazing show." Apart from his own hits, Usher chose to include Jimi Hendrix's version of "The Star-Spangled Banner", as well as music from Rihanna, Kanye West, Jay-Z, Blake Shelton with wife Miranda Lambert, and the legendary Frank Sinatra.
More Usher News
- James Corden, Rose Byrne, Daisy Ridley Tapped for Peter Rabbit Movie
- Tom Hanks Crashes Wedding Photo Shoot at Central Park
- Lil Wayne Officiated Same-Sex Wedding in Prison, Found Out Drake Slept With His Girlfriend
- Amy Schumer Snogs Ben Hanisch on Kiss Cam During Mets Game
- Oh Boy! Harry Styles Rocks Three Different Looks for Another Man Magazine
- Taylor Lautner Says Britney Spears Tried to Set Him Up With Her Sister Jamie Lynn
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Do Have a Pre-Nup. So, Who's the Big Winner?
- 'Thor: Ragnarok': 'Jurassic Park' Star Sam Neill Reveals His Secret Role